1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What should I do about my plow lights?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Rusty Silence, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Rusty Silence

Rusty Silence Senior Member

My plow lights are too low, what can I do to raise them? I would like to switch to a round light anyways to go with the vintage look the truck has going on.

2. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

There is a nut under the light tower frame, I would suggest lube it up with a good penetrating oil and then get a socket on it and loosen it up and position the lights to the desired position, sometimes an extra hand help to keep the lights in the new position.
  3. Rusty Silence

I guess I should have been more clear, the lights are mounted too low, they're hardly any higher than my headlights.
  4. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

get a piece of steel and run it across there. A metal stud would work perfect
  5. .5racer

.5racer Senior Member

build a set of light risers that bolt where the lights are now ,then bolt the lights on top of that. A 2" slice of a 2"x10" rectangular tube works real well. Go to a local steel or machine or fab shop and get a couple cut and drilled if you cant drill the holes.
  6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Be careful putting something the whole way across to raise up the lights. It may block to much air going into your radiator.
  7. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

you have the old style light extensions. you need the new long ones.
    part # 61553 and 61552. you will need 2 of each.
  8. mmaddox

mmaddox Member

Re-bend the bar stock that is currently holding the lights. I have just the lights you are looking to change out to, brand new. Get to Lafayette and I would trade you.
  9. Rusty Silence

Man if you weren't 2 hours away I would do that! lol
  10. FrFtr28

FrFtr28 Member

I sent you a PM.
  11. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I have a set of the taller light extensions sitting in my garage (I think). I'll sell them to you for $50 plus shipping over to you. PM me if you're interested.
  12. Rusty Silence

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet,
  13. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Ship your old ones to him and cover the return postage. Done.
  14. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

15. Rusty Silence

Good idea.
    I can't sell them until I get different ones. I don't think they're worth much, a couple of the threaded tabs for the screws are broken and I had to run a new wire to an external ground because they weren't getting ground connection as they were. Probably due to rust. And yeah those are the exact lights I want, lol. I have an old amber can light for the roof, I just need to find a magnet to use to attach it. I would like to have the body restored and painted the factory green with two tone like it is now and have my dad hand letter my business name on the doors. He used to do that for extra cash back in the day.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  16. mmaddox

mmaddox Member

Those are exactly what I have. Didn't realize your's were in all that poor of shape. Have been known to put aircraft landing lights on the lamps.
  17. Rusty Silence

I didn't realize it either until Sunday when I hooked them up and got them working. Apparently the previous owner simply disconnected the light wiring when they stopped working (I thought they had just never hooked them up). Oh well, the important thing is that I now have working plow lights, I'll worry about aesthetics in the (hopefully not so distant) future.
  18. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

a 3 inch piece of steel won't block any more air to your radiator than an 8 foot plow will