1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what should i buy now

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by thundercat99, Feb 1, 2005.

1. thundercat99

thundercat99 Senior Member

Trying to decide what ecquipment to buy for 2005-2006 season. this here was good to me so far and there is a potential to get better still have most of feb left

my first year in the buisness i hung a blizzard 8-10 on my chevy dually 1st season expenses were covered.

my second year in buisness i bought a 1954 series international dump 1ft bonnell and undertailgate spreader truck is now paid up till next season along with all other related expenses ..

my third year is comming up now and everthing is looking great.. Will be going out on my own this coming season.. subbing has been good to me and i can fall back on it any time no matter what i buy even if i dont use it on my own it could be put to work buy the company i work for now..

I am leaning towards buying a Skidsteer so i can load my own salt from a satalite pile.. would save time and money a fiend has one he would sub to me if i need 2 of them not looking att bidding on any condo projects now but you never now.

Im picking up a 82 chevy short bed diesel great shape in need of a little trans work will be haning a 7.5 on it maybe a 6ft v box I think it would make a grat little plow truck..

I can allways sub out more trucks but was wondering what direction to go in

All acounts are comerical nothing very small and so far nothing is a snow relocating account..

ANY ADVICE OR IDEAS OULD BE APPRECIATED GREATLY THANKS

2. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

I will be intrested to hear the replies.

I am also in the same situation, although this is my first year.
    I'm sure the answers will depend greatly on what type of work we are looking to do next year and our different locations.
    As for me, there are no local bulk distributors, so V-box is unlikely unless I want to sub for the county.
    I'm leaning more towards loaders. Seems like only the "big boys" around here have them.

3. truckplow

truckplow Junior Member

I think you would be interested in the JJAG wing plow for your truck. www.jjagwing.com go there & do some comparison. you will be surprised at everything it can do. The guy that has this patent on this is the guy who does all of the custom installation. A local company .

pickup.jpg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

get the 82 up to par and prepar to get that started as a back up. get a spreader going for it. Do a little subbing with it but nothing very hard or fixed so you could bring it back as a back up to your stuff or if your accounts start needing extra attention. Build a good customer base based on excellent service and dont try to bite to big. Its hard to not try to grow as quickly as possible but that can bite you sometimes. A skid steer can be great since it can be used a bunch in the summer espicly since you have a dump. Pusher boxes on them(if he's close you your pile) can be swaped easy. Also it does give you the ability to add "removal" if you really get hammered. If you can afford it and get someone to run it when they arnt loading salt it could be a good $ maker.

5. thundercat99

free plows

girlfriend is giving me a 1 year old western unimount and possibbly a meyers setup too bolth 7.5 going to have to find trucks for them

6. thundercat99

skid steer

i have a plan big skid steer with 7.5 blade and push box also 20 or 30 yard rolloff for storage and one more truck for next season

7. brad welch

brad welch Member

better get a bigger blade for your skidder. check out the blizzard 810 or 8611 for skidsteers. i have sold 4-5 of them and everyone seems to love them..sppeeeeeeddds the job up and they push lots of snow and you can use them for lanscape with dirt and rock in the summer also. with quick atach you can put the bucket back on in 5 minutes and be loading again also check them out at blizzard plows.com email me if you have any questions at mooseozby@sbcglobal.net

8. THREE W

THREE W Senior Member

Buying new equipment is always nice, and expanding out can also be very lucrative, but I always try to remember a couple things.

1. It is possible to become to large (loss of service,money.supervision,) sometimes being too large creates large problems.

2. ALWAYS put some money away for rainy days (or no snow winters).

3. If you have extra money, never forget the most important things (wife,kids, house) they like special vacations and extras too, plus they will be more supportive in your efforts. especially if somewhere down the road it does not go as well.

9. thundercat99

good advice

you should never try to grow to fast and you cant forget the important things like family

But here is my situation

im 26 and doing good

girlfriend that is supportive

plumber fulltime so there is a steady income generaly no matter what part of the year..

most purchase can be used throught the year for plumbing anyway

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Remember also, the bigger you get the more help you have to hire- it's not always easy to find drivers for your equipment that both know what they're doing (knows how to plow properly) and won't beat on your equipment. I am a 1 man show and intend to stay that way, at most I will add 1 additional bigger truck for a private road complex that I have been aproached to take over in the past (next time the current contractor screws up basically) and my father will drive that route and only that route.

If you can use the equipment in your regular summer work then it's an investment, but if it'll sit idle (because your a plumber or an electrician, for example, and have no use for a skid steer all summer long) and you need someone to drive it you should think about it first. Do a cost- benifit analasys before you buy.