1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What should i be paid?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by R0LLM0DL, Nov 20, 2010.

1. R0LLM0DL

R0LLM0DL Junior Member

Help me out guys...

Ive been working for a guy the past 4 years driving his truck with a plow only getting paid $15 per hour. I now know i should have been paid more than that.

Anyway, i now have a dodge ram of my own and im in the market for a used plow.

He wants me to keep working for him but i dont want to get taken advantage of again like a moron...

He has several big accounts. All commercial, some a couple of big lots 100+ cars, others that are about 30 cars...several banks with the drive up teller...and he just picked up one thats even bigger than last year. One account has 50 sites...

What should i be getting paid an hour or how should this work?
  2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

how big of a plow? how big of a truck? your fuel or his? you see were this is going?
  3. R0LLM0DL

R0LLM0DL Junior Member

yes i see where u are going with this...
    dodge ram 1500, my fuel, his salt, his contract. all im doing is getting in my truck with plow. plowing locations...dropping some salt.
    im just looking for a general idea. i know i cant get specifics...
    plow size matters?

thanks for the response...
  4. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Bigger Plow = higher efficiency = more $$$
  5. keitha

keitha Senior Member

$15/hr in your area is probably low, esp after 4 years.
    Ask for a raise and drive his equip.
    You'll most likely make more money.LOL
    You'll need your own insurance. Regardless of how many hours you get.
    What's he paying? Hopefully $80 plus/hr

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

in some places $15 is good money driving someone elses truck
    ask for a raise but I would just be happy to have a job
  7. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

ya that real good around here. around here you would be at $9-$11/hr. even as a sub here you will only get 35-40.
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you have to ask......
  9. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Plowing services around here pay $10 and some consider that good money....
  10. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I wouldn't get out of bed to drive someone Else's truck for $10hr (even if i was friends with Scott, I'm sure you know who I'm talking about turf commando:) ). I have a hard time thinking that subs would make less than $35hr with their own equipment. I start my subs there, he has an old s10 and 6'6" blade and i go up from their with the full size trucks. Everyone (including me) gets the same price per driveway. Also I don't pay my self as much as i pay my sub with a bigger truck and plow
  11. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Unfortunately....I know Scott he asked me to plow for him using my truck, insurance, gas for $20 hr ....Never got back to him.....:laughing:
    Anyways, the Big Fish around here is Joe's Lawn & Garden he's offering snow removal. He only charges $40 hr (subs too) taking apartment complexes and just about everything else. Nobodys going that low thats how he gets it...:eek:...
  12. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9 Senior Member
    from malvern

I would agree with them ask for a raise. I had to fight for my 12 bucks an hr for mowing season and i mean fight for it. He didn't want to give me more than 10 and I said stick that in you a$$. Than I came out worked with him and he saw I was worth the 12 and most days he pays me more than 12. He does take care of me with little perks like paid food fuel when we use my truck (I tend to show up on empty on those days). See my sig that how much I need to make back for this winter thats just plow and salter still working on insurance.
  13. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Yes, kinda! But. So does type of plow.
    An 8'2 vee is more than likely going to be more efficent than an 8'6" str blade.
  14. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

If you get a smaller plow and are in large parking lots find some Pro wings for it.
  15. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

dont know your market. but around here you cannot find a sub that will bring a fullsize truck and plow and pay his own fuel for less than $50 per/hr. we sub trucks to other companies and wont do it for less than $65per/hr and people still call for help. so it all depends on your market.

but i would say if your providing equipment and fuel. dont go less than $40 per hr.

also start off by figuring your cost of operation and see what you need to be charging.
  16. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

Im getting 65an hr and paid fuel.
  17. scottyknows50

scottyknows50 Member

i'd say you're doin' all right.
  18. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

If I can give any advice I would watch what I say or who I say stuff about on here as people will talk and could be used or portrayed as slander...
  19. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

I might be missing something here. Are you making $12 hr only when you plow or $12 hr x 40 hr weeks. Big difference! I pay my year round help the same winter & summer. My on call winter help make considerably more per hr but get limited hrs.
  20. snowtech

snowtech Member

$15 per hour seems like a good rate of pay for my area. as far as what you should get paid there are two ways to look at it. how i look at it when i contract subs i pay them a percentage of what i get paid for the account because i have to answer the phone i had to sell the job and it my butt if anything goes wrong. from your point of view you make enough to cover all of your overhead (insurance, wear and tear, ect) and profit.
    hopefully at the end of the day their is enough on each job for both of you to each make enough to be happy.

good luck let us know what you guys decide on and if it works out