1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What should I be looking forward to?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jrm123180, Jan 11, 2005.

1. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

I just recently purchased a 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 w/ 52k on it; its got a 4.8L. This truck didn't have a plow so the dealer had a 7'6" Fisher MM2 installed for me.

What problems should I be awaiting on this vehicle? Has anyone had any major problems with them?

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

just keep it outa OD when towing or when running around with the plow and you should be alright. Timbrens are a good thing, run ballast ect.

Stock shocks suck uless you have the bilstens
  3. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

They have been having issues with the steering shaft rattling (been waiting 2 months for one for my Tahoe). Not a big issue really just an annoyance. Wiper trans is kind of weak and ice builds up around the lower end of the wiper arm keeping it from returning all the way.
  4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

oh yes.....there is a TSB on the steering shaft "clunk"

5. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

I have this popping noise sometimes that sounds like its coming from the underneath of the truck, somewhere in the middle between the cab and bed. Has anyone head this on their trucks? This noise happens randomly, but usually after I shut the truck off, but not always.

JKOOPERS Senior Member

also watch the transmission i have the exact same truck . i have already had the tranny replaced once and now i have a code of p1870 coming on now every once in awhile. personally i think the truck sucks. i also purchased the extened warranty and i have had $15,000 in warranty work.
  7. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

I purchased the warranty with this truck also. I'm good until 88k
  8. ymerejsregor

ymerejsregor Junior Member

Steering shaft rattle

Is the steering shaft rattle primarily when moving and turning to the left or right? I've had this symptom for awhile now, but can't find any other logical reasoning. What is the TSB number?

9. jbok19

jbok19 Member

Steering shaft rattle solution!!!!!

I had the rattle in my steering shaft too, thought it was the suspension. Took it to the dealor and they figured out it was the steering colum sleeve at the firewall that had gone bad and leaked, thus causing the colum to rattle. It's a easy fix and if you have a warranty cost you nothing!!!!
  10. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Steering shaft clunk (covered under warranty) , CSK (hope you don't have that one), make surer you have the revised tailgate cables, and just a bunch of minor annoyances that will pop up over time. Nothing that will hinder the trucks performance. One thing you might want to keep an eye on is the lower sections of the doors on the inside. They tend to start forming rust over time.

Other than that, it's a great double duty truck, good luck. :drinkup: