1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What set up would you recommend for my 05 chevy 2500hd duramax

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by badgerfan, Apr 28, 2010.

1. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

I am in my second year in the landscape management business and have been resonably successful in getting lawn and landscape customers so far. I am going to be getting into plowing this fall and already have about 15 residential driveway accounts. I believe that I will eventually have about 45 residential driveways by fall. My truck is a quadcab shortbox so maybe not ideal for driveways but this is my only truck with 4x4. I have searched the threads a little bit and have an idea about what is needed but let me know again anyways please. I am talking about plow,shocks,snowblower,ice melt. ect. Also do most of you guys spread ice melt when it is under 2 inches of snow and plow when it is 2 or more? Thanks in advance
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Correct; you do not have the ideal truck for doing driveways. :nono: I think most of us will agree on that. Having gotten that out of the way IMO you need at least an eight foot plow, eight and a half would be even better. This allows you to clear the most amount of snow with a single positioning, keeps your mirrors and elbows out of the bushes and will help prevent "rollback" from denting your doors in tight areas. A vee blade can help if difficult positions if only because you can have both corners tight against the truck effectively shortening the rig in turning situations.

After that there isn't much more. You should choose a dealer/plow based on reputation and location. The closer to your area of operation the better but be sure they are able to handle your needs. The is a huge debate on the optimum lift system, you have two choices direct lift or chain lift. Direct lift is clearly superior for your application only if it has down pressure (which would limit you to a Snoway at this time.) The question "direct or chain lift which is better ?" would start a war. there is no clear cut answer if down pressure is taken out of the mix.

There are many different variations on contracts, service levels, trigger depth, ice melt, etc. Continue reading an shape a contract suited for you and your customer base. In my available customer base there are great numbers who want a zero tolerance contractor, Meaning clear pavement regardless of amount or type of persipation while there are others wanting a three inch trigger, and the largest amount want "will call." You need to find the service level that is most profitable to you and build your business on that.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I plow with a 4 door F-250 and have very few problems doing drives. Get at least an 81/2' blade (a V-blade is nicest) and go for it.
  4. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Okay thanks for the input so far guys. So I am thinking about a boss v plow. Maybe the 8'2 Is there any weight issues due to the fact that I have the diesal engine. I should be able to crank out some 2 stall by about 65 ft driveways at a pretty good clip right? How many do you think a skilled plow driver could do with say 5 inches of snow and all within 12 miles of each other in say 12 hours?