1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what series Western plow best suited for 99F450 4x4 diesel dump

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jjdonovan, Oct 4, 2001.

1. jjdonovan

jjdonovan Guest

I am at a loss as to which model of 9' Western plow would be best suited for my truck. I am planning to plow for one of the local towns. If I use the heavy duty plow rated for trucks with 14000-24000GVW,( my truck is rated at 15000)I would need to put beefer front springs in and probably air-bags over rear axles to level out the truck.Sounds like alot of hassle and then I stuck with a beefer suspension when winter is over. Would the 9' Pro-plow be able to handle the constant plowing required for town plowing and give me the equipment logevity, ( not wearing out in 3-4years) any thought or personal experiences would be appreciated greatly.

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Well I would go with fisher mc model or if you where from around here Dyer saled in north reading makes there own called the continental 9' full trip or you could go with an everest poly plow it also has a beefy full mount front .There are quite a few commercial plows but you will pay for them the everest is about $6K installed.

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I would go with the Fisher MC also. These are definately up to the task.

4. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

The 9' MC is one Tough Plow, I am running them on my F 550s.

However I am not sure the the 9 MC is an option for the F 450. Maybe it Is i am just not sure.

Geoff

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

My town runs them on their 450's but they are seldom worried about warranties. If it is not the standard Fisher 9ft is still up to the task. Just keep up on the maintanence.

6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

If I am not mistaken, he asked about western plows, not fisher.
    Now if it was me, I would go with the 9' heavyweight model. I dont think the 450 will have to many issues with that plow, and you will be running with the plow down most of the time. The pro plow is nice, but I dont know if it is up to the higher speed roadway plowing.
    If you were doing commercial plowing I would say look at the 9'6" MVP, but you really dont need the extra flexability of that plow.
    Try the 9' heavyweight, if the front springs have trouble, add load boosters, that way you wont have to rework the whole front suspension. If you have the diesel, you should have the same front springs as the 550.
    Dino

7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I would recommend going with the brand that has a dealer closest to you. I am sure you have seen this advice before but unless you are big enough to stock many spare parts then you need a good local dealer. Mass is mostly Fisher dealers but if a Western dealer is near you or if you are set on that model go for it. For road plowing I would prefer a trip edge not a full trip. Of course with me that applies to all plowing.

8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

A few things came to mind when reviewing the choice of fisher vs western in this application.
    The highest wear item for plowing roadways will be the cutting edge. The western plow will allow you to use more of that edge before having to replace. Assuming that on a heavy weight plow, you have a 8" steel edge, you will be able to wear that down to 2-3" before having to replace.
    On the fisher, you can only wear down to about 4.5" before the trip spring lower brackets start to ride on the pavement, once you wear those out, very bad things start to happen.
    So in this application, the choice of plow could mean the difference between plowing the entire storm on one edge or having to replace in the middle of a storm.
    I am not saying that fisher plows are not good, but they have drawbacks as well.
    As far as western dealers go, I think they are very well represented in NE.
    Dino

9. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Maybe we are all messed up in Maine. :)

However there is only one western dealer. I also heard they don't even do installs. Ya never know.

Geoff

10. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

I just had a western 8.6 mvp installed on my 99 450. But i mainly do strip malls and apartments. Do you have the ford plow package on your truck? If your truck DOB was before 99.5 there is a TSB (free of charge) to have a ford trans cooler installed. If you have the 4r100 auto xmission seriously install a trans cooler. Jegs performance has a killer cooler rated for 28k GVW for 60 bucks. well worth it. There is a bunch of other stuff i researched about this truck since I own one too. I know its not really what you are looking for but it's all related. BTW, what is the DOT paying for highway's per hour? John Reich

11. jjdonovan

jjdonovan Guest

Thank you all for the info.

I have done alot of yakking on the phone with local dealers of both Fisher and Western plows.
    I had some dealers pushing Fisher's Mc plow for my truck, I cannot see how a plow with a weight of 1700 lbs mounted to a frame hanging 24" out above an axle rated for 6,000 lbs. would not cause problems in a short time?I feel that I will change my preference of plows and go with the Fisher HD9'
    Thanks for all the input

12. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

That sounds like the safest bet.

We have Boss 10' plows mounted on our 550 diesels. (I think the 450 & 550 have the same front end)
    The Boss 10' weighs something like 1300 lbs.

1700 lbs? Wow, that is a beast.

For what we plow, a wider (like 12') and lighter (1200lb.) plow would work the best.