1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What say ye? Bush replacement

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LoneCowboy, Mar 18, 2008.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

This one property (a church) I do I knocked down some upright junipers. The snow just pushed them over, they are on a slight hill and honestly they weren't in great shape.
    Nonetheless, I knocked them down.
    I've cut them down and pulled the stumps.
    I'm ready to go get some new upright junipers, 5 gallon, of the correct type.
    The maintenance person is whining "well I want ones those size" (10' tall, 4' wide)

"That size juniper simply doesn't exist, nor will they live"

Well, maybe a landscape appraiser can tell us teh value.

it's a bleeping bush, in 5 years you'll be pulling it anyway because it's already too big for the spot.

I'm offering (and am) pulling the old and willing to put in new 5 gallon (even 7 gallon) upright junipers.

The church wants "bushes the same size" (which simply don't exist, I don't how they expect to get this)

Am I wrong here?

2. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Tell them to have faith. The small ones will grow into big ones.:rolleyes:

3. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

how many are involved? how close were they to the road you were plowing? Did you stack into them, or just a windrow that moved them? Was the ground frozen at the time?

Regardless, you need to do the right thing and replace them. Look for a wholesaler and find some 15, 22, or 40 gallon replacements and install them. Damage is damage. You can't have all the glory (getting paid) without taking responsibility for your actions when things go wrong.

4. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think he was dodging his responsibilities at all. I believe it was just a matter of being practical. A 10' juniper that's available for sale and does not have to be transplanted .... tall order.

Tommy10 made a few good points.... How did the snow knock them down? windrow, piling, ? What color was the upright? Did you save the roots? It could have been the roots were rotted in the first place - not that this takes away your responsibility but, it does give you a little room to have the church be a little more reasonable too.

There's a lot of upright Juniper's; http://www.coloradotreefarmnursery.com/juniper.htm

5. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I hate to ask this of you, but how did you not see a 10' tall tree/bush? Why would you windrow or pile snow in its direction.

Why would you start replacing bushes already? My ground is still frozen.

Even though I claim to be a landscaper, I don't know anything about plants. (I do hardscapes) So go to a nursery, ask how old the bush would have had to have been to be that big. Ask what the expected life of the bush is. Maybe it was on the way out. In other words, the cost to replace it can be prorated. Ask what the chances are of having one to replace it. Ask what it would cost. Get your ducks in a row before the church does.

I hope you made enough money to have some left over when this is over.

Good Luck

6. riverwalkland

riverwalkland Senior Member

can you put in something else that you can buy thats already large, like an evergreen or something?

7. Kingwinter

Kingwinter Senior Member

ha, i saw this thread and thought it was a political debate........ :dizzy:

8. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Me to. I was like "Yea, Bush needs to be replaced."

Lone Cowboy said, "they are on a slight hill and honestly they weren't in great shape." I read it as "He is over the hill and honestly the economy isn't in that great of shape." :help:

9. PolyPlowBoss

PolyPlowBoss Member

I hate to say this, but I know that at least some people are thinking it.
    Although I claim to be a Christian (and try to be one), it is situations like this that has led me to the decision to not work for churches, in general. They are the first ones to get you to lower your price, and they expect more from you than other customers. Don't get me wrong, I've done a lot of donation (free) work for churches, trying to do my part, and they are almost always ungrateful.
    They say "Thank You" and shake your hand (or not), then their actions say what they really mean. They always expect compassion (less money, more work) and use the "church" for their benefit.
    I hope I don't offend anyone by this, but I can't help but feel this way, due to my experience with this matter.
    I'm afraid that you are going to have to bite your tongue and do what ever they ask of you. This is one for the chalk board. Learn and move one.
    Sorry. :drinkup::drinkup::eek:

10. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I'd say each church is significantly different in how they respond. Some are simply great, easy going, pay's on time. Some are nut jobs. It all comes down to the human who represents that church just like anywhere else.

11. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

well
    I pulled all the bushes and stumps.

I found the tag still on one of the trees while chipping it (oh yes, they take loving care, 8 years old and the tag is still on it ) I called the nursery, they have 6' tall ones.
    (the current plants are 6' tall and about 4' wide). I call the church guy and say here they are I can have them in next week. (this was yesterday)
    He says "well i want to go look at them"

fine, have a good time.

he finally calls back today and says "well, these are only 2' wide, those are 4' wide" (yeah, so, they are living plants, they grow!!!, I even explained that transplanting big plants simply rarely works, they go into shock and either die or stay that size for a few years while they recover)

blah blah blah, in one ear, out the other.

Fine, file a claim on the insurance, have a good time, it will now take months/years to get more bushes in and the insurance company is not going to be nearly so nice as me. I was willing to replace them even though at least a couple of them look backed over (way overgrown, already stick over the curb) just as a good faith type of thing.

I think I'm going to send them a bill for removing the bushes.

12. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

We had a similiar instance about 6 years ago. One of my guys backed in to a crabapple, with a Bobcat(plowing) was a awesome tree very well care for by HOA, about 8 in caliper, it was the HOA's tree. We promptly cut it up & disposed of it, left stump. I told the board we would replace it with a new one, the largest we could get (4-4.5"), & prune & fert as others, (they are all pruned tight, vary in size but each house has one, between 4-9" cal) they were OK with it. The homeowner wasn't OK with it she got an estimate from another contractor to replace it, $ 1500.00, I submitted it because I honestly (got that vibe) didn't think the lady was going to be happy no matter what we did & I can't handle a tree that size, replacement, etc. They came & staked it out to grind the stump, all the utiliies were there as well. So it must of been a fun job. As it ended up she got a 8" Bradford Pear??? So now it is huge & the only one in the HOA, planted totally out of place right by her walk. Had she done it my way she would have a nice 6" cal tree just like everyone else by now. But she knew better. Gotta love it.