1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what sander should i buy

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Ziob34, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

i've read alot of the goods and bads on here just curious what peoples recommendations are for an 8' truck bed sander short chute.....i'm thinking of going with the western or fisher poly spreader with the chain drive 1.5 yard. any thoughts on brands or ones NOT to even consider. whatever i buy i take care of and would like to have it around for a while.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Stainless, two electric motors. If you are doing primarily sand, bed chain over auger.

3. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

thanks for the input we don't sand a ton just a few hills probably would actually have the sander spreading a total of an hour an entire storm.

4. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I have the western 1.8 yard and i really like it. I have a couple videos on youtube of it.

5. ForestEdgeSnow

ForestEdgeSnow Senior Member

I have a FSP salt and sand Spreader. I bought it last winter before that I had a Pro-Flow 2. The Pro Flow 2 did a pretty good job spreading sand but it was made for more of a salt application and I definitely maxed out it's capabilities. I am pretty sure you could pick one up for around $2000.

I love the new henderson. The henderson is awesome because it is sefl contained. It is completly wireless. The engine starts off a motorcycle battery. I control it with a wireless remote. I pick this unit up for just under 4G's. I feel I got way more bang for the buck with the henderson. I have the 2 yard spreader. I run multiple trucks and like being able to move from one truck to another. My guess is that you could get a smaller one. I feel this spreader is Superior to the new western and tornado's.

Let me know if you have any more questions

Here is the link to the henderson
    http://www.henderson-mfg.com/fsp.htm

Attached Files:

6. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

like that its wireless saves alot of pain in the ass moving from truck to truck. any idea where a dealer would be in the connecticut area?

7. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

What happens if someone loses the remote? Do you have a back up remote or have they made it easy enough to do it the hold fasion way and have to get out of the truck and turn it on?

8. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

i'm thinking you mount it to the dash somewhere and leave it there you just don't have to fuss with all the wiring through the truck.

9. Mackman

from S.E. PA

My wetsern took about 1hr to wire up. It was easy as can be.

10. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

I have a western Tornado and i would recommend it. not having to worry about a motor on the back i think is a huge plus. Only gripe is that you sometimes get two heavy trails directly under spreader other than that that it runs like a dream.

11. 05 superduty

05 superduty Member
    from NJ

I have the generation 2 tornado 1.5 in the back of my 2005 f250 supercab shortbed and im happy with it. Separate conveyor/spinner speeds, controller sounds when its empty, the material stays dry because of the lids even overnight, and believe it or not i put it in and take out the truck myself. For me it was the best and i'd only buy western.

12. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

thanks everyone i'm thinking of going with western or fisher 2nd generation poly.

13. Mackman

from S.E. PA

Good Choice.

14. ForestEdgeSnow

ForestEdgeSnow Senior Member

I like western and and run all western plows I looked at the western very closely and the only issue I had was that it was more expensive than the hederson. What I like about the henderson is that it has a gas motor the only draw is that is loud if you are going to be doing apartment complexes. The remote is only around $100 and I carry two just incase I drop it some how in a snow drift. I like that it does not draw any amps off of my truck since I am already running aux lights a plow the radio and a heater wipers and a 2 way radio. These are just my thoughts I am pretty sure you will be happy with both.

Justin

15. LON

LON Senior Member

There is a fix now for the trail problem. We were just shown it in Fisher school. It is a bolt-on fix.

16. FLC2004

FLC2004 Senior Member

I have the 1.5 in a f-250 pickup shortbed and its a good spreader. The chutes adjustable so it can mount in a pickup or a dump truck if you ever decide to swap. Depending on what brand plow you have, the western tornado, fisher polycaster and blizzard ice chaser is all the same unit.

17. Mackman

from S.E. PA

What type of bolt on fix??