1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What salt spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by joeplow1, Jan 13, 2011.

1. joeplow1

joeplow1 Junior Member

We are looking to buy a v box. There are alot of people I know using the snow ex and I thinks it is just because the local guy has them in stock. I am looking at a fisher with the chain drive. The auger in the snow ex I am not to sure of although my flink tailgate spreader has a auger. I guess we are looking for pros and cons of chain or auger.
  2. blizzardsnow

blizzardsnow Member

They both have their pro's and con's, what will you be spreading? Bulk? Bags? Magic?
  3. joeplow1

joeplow1 Junior Member

mostly bulk some bag on occasion
  4. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth Member

Swenson or AirFlo
  5. blizzardsnow

blizzardsnow Member

Used to have a snowex, with auger, wasn't too happy with how it fed. Also use a salt dog with gas motor and conveyor- feeds great except it pulses a little with each paddle of chain. Gas model doesn't allow for individual adjustment of spreader speed and flow speed. Also use a salt dogg 1500 electric with auger. Its great for adjustments- flow and spreader width and fewer moving parts. Easy to use-dont have to carry gas etc. Most bulk is ok, but sometimes it is crap that requires constant vibrator- which uses more salt.
  6. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I have a Snow-Ex VP 8000 and I like it. I rebuilt it a bit, and used new parts so I probably won't have the problems the older ones had. So far I have spread over 25k lbs through it this winter. With that said, I will be buying Salt Dogg spreaders from now on. Everybody around here is using them. Seem to be a good bang for the buck!
  7. SaratogaSnowPro

SaratogaSnowPro Junior Member

That snowex 8000 is an old design. I don't think they make them anymore. It was angled inside the bed and always overflowed at the cab end. Still a decent spreader.
  8. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

We have had 3 Buyers Stainless 8' gas motors. Love them, they have yet let me down. Keep fresh plugs and gas and idle them high for a while at the end of the day and they run awesome. After 5 years $450 to put new drag chain, shaft, sprocets, bearings and half a day. Good to go. Just my opinion, have a few buddy's that'll agree.