1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What safety-related issues have you discovered the ‘hard way’?

Discussion in 'Snow Management Safety & Training' started by Michael J. Donovan, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

What safety-related issues have you discovered the ‘hard way’?

Please post and let us know of any safety-related issues you have encountered/discovered while out in the elements...any issues, problems, etc. that you hadn't heard or thought of, that came up and you had to deal with, first hand, hence the "hard way"

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I had a salter go down during the ice storm last season, I got through the event with my back up but went to fix the broken unit that night in the shop without power or heat...and a little weary.
    I had the shop lit with the loader lights and whatever battery lights I could find and reaching into the dark salter to pull a new conveyer through, the back of my hand scraped along a stainless support on the track that had been sharpened beautifully by the belt over the years. It razor cut the whole length of my hand which in the cold I didn't feel right away.( The salt residue took care of that though).
    I used tensor bandages and cotton from 3 first aid kits to get it under control, went and got stitched and returned in the daylight to the murder scene in the shop. It took literally 5 min to finish what I was doing with the proper light (and the hindsight of knowing there was a sharpened edge in there.)