1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What`s YOUR psi ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by danno, Nov 29, 2005.

1. danno

danno Senior Member

To all the guys running 10 ply. What are you airing up to, with the plow on and with it off ?

I tried my 10 plys over 60 psi without the plow, and its teeth chattering, can`t imagine keeping them at 80 psi all the time ?
  2. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

I run 60 front and rear, year round

3. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

I run 80 psi all the time, but it is a half ton and a cushier ride than a heavier truck would be.
  4. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

We run 60psi all summer then 65psi fronts and 75psi rear
  5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I run my 17" Cooper M+S's at max psi --80. Only a little bit of vibration.
  6. KenG

KenG Senior Member
    from MA

In the winter, I run 80psi in the fronts. I would probably go a bit lower, but I have that heavy Diesel engine. The rear gets about 65psi, since I have about 700lbs of ballast.

The rest of the year, I run 65psi in the front, and 50psi rear (unless I have a heavy load to haul).
  7. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

65psi front and rear all year round :)
  8. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

75-80 year around with a mouthguard.
  9. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

I ran all four around 72# from winter to spring and the middle of the tires wore faster than outside treads. Will try around 65# this year.
  10. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Member

Both trucks I run 70lbs front and rear all year long and put 75lbs in the rear in the F250 with the salter in the winter.

I tried lowering the pressures in the '05's until I realized that they rode better empty with more air than less.
  11. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I was just about to ask the same question. I just put a half dozen new ten plys on, set them at 65 front 55 rear like the door tag says, it rides like a dream. Today I was at a big tire place and happened to ask the owner what he thought, he pretty much made me feel like an idiot for not running them at max pressure (80 psi) I explained that 90% of the time the truck is empty, and I normally increase pressure when I know I'm going to tow or load it down. He asked why I would want to run tires 20% underinflated. I guess I never thought of it as underinflated, I thought LT tires had a lot more room to adjust air pressure. Now I'm confuseder.
  12. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

60 summer .. 80 winter that is the most typical for my trucks..
  13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

The door sticker is for normal driving- the tire guy's advice will simply cause you to wear them out alot faster- as in over inflation. I have to tell the tire shop what pressure I want them at or they set them to 80psi since that's what the sidewall says.

You need max pressure when under heavy loads, never under empty weight so you're not running underinflated- he's an idiot.

I run my E rated tires at 60-65 front (diesel engine) and 50-55 rear summer or empty and 80psi front and rear winter all season. I carry about 1000lbs of ballast in the rear from November through April. If you carry some weight the high pressure isn't teeth jarring- besides you all bought trucks don't you remember what a truck is supposed to ride like? My father's 82 K5 blazer with C-range tires rides harder than my 96 Ram with 80psi!
  14. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

We have installed Hakalapetti's 10 ply on all our plowing equipment. With the weight of the Western MVP, I run 65 front & back, tires are rated at 80 max. On my sanding truck., I max them out at 80# rear 80 front. :cool:
  15. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

80 Psi, recommended with a Diesel
  16. Brookside

Brookside Member

Danno, hope this has cleared it up for you. Glad to see everyone's in complete agreement on the subject. What it comes down to is the tire pressure should relate to the load it's carrying, but it's a personal decision whether you want to be adding and removing air every time you put the plow on and off. Two things are certain, you don't need to run 80# in an empty truck just 'cause the sidewall says you can, and the door sticker's no help for the front 'cause they don't figure on the plow weight.
  17. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

50-55 psi front and back winter with plow on.
    Happy Holidays
  18. danno

danno Senior Member

Yeah, I knew that its basically "wrong" to keep these tires at max inflation "all the time".
    Especially with "Skinny" tires. No give with them. Like riding on rims !:nod:
  19. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Here's an old mechanics trick, as my father would say, taught to me by an old mechanic... Put a piece of paper (masking) tape across the tread of the tires and take a very short ride, less than a mile. Check the tape for the wear pattern- it will show the wear pattern for the tire under those conditions. It should wear evenly across just as tires should. Worn in the center not the edges is over inflation, worn on the edges not the center is under inflation, anything else for wear is alignment issues.
  20. danno

danno Senior Member

The tape is a good one. I know of chalk on the tire also.