1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What(s) book to read???

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Sno ballz, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Sno ballz

Sno ballz Member

Hi guys,

Before I launch into my new business, I would like to do as much research as possible. Can you guys recommend any books or websites on starting a new small business, or starting a new snow plow business specifically?

I'd like to do this right :) :)

Sno ballz

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

As far as starting a small business, I'd recommend developing a Business Plan. This is a link to the Small Business Administration: http://www.sba.gov/starting_business/startup/basics.html

I've posted a rudimentary Business Plan on this site specific to plowing - this is a link to that: http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=17545&highlight=Business+Plan

As far as a book for beginning plowing, there is - but not from this site. I've actually been playing with the idea of writing a book geared to the person who has NO experience with plows or plowing. I'd just come up with the idea a couple days before you posted this, so maybe it's not such a farfetched idea. Another idea I'd come up with was working with a person by email or phone (if you'd like, I'd even fly out there at your expense :) ) to offer advice geared to your particular situation. I have done that in the past and gotten postive feedback, so let me know.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2005
  3. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

john a. allin came out with a grear book a couple years ago called managing snow and ice. i think it cost about 60.00 and well worth it.

4. Mick

from Maine

I think John's book might be a too advanced for a person who is just starting and has no experience at all.

5. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I agree about Johns book kinda skipping over the beginning elements.

Mick what about Chucks book ? I have not purchased it but maybe that can help some guys out. I know it was on the Sima training list of materials.
    Todd

6. Mick

from Maine

Yes, I agree on Chuck's book. I haven't read it either, but I've read some other stuff of his which was very good. I'd forgotten that it was on the SIMA training list. I just hadn't mentioned it because of the competition "thing".

7. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

8. caelach

caelach Junior Member

9. Mick

from Maine

This is the one I referred to above. If you choose to buy it, I'd be interested in hearing your impressions as someone who has no experience in plowing snow. I still think it might not be suited to Sno ballz' situation at this point, but I haven't read it, so really can't say. I do find it interesting that it's only $25 and no longer offered at the SIMA store.