1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What removal tool should I get

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by showsnow, Mar 2, 2013.

1. showsnow

showsnow Junior Member
    from Kansas

I have a 1999 Bobcat 773, I currently use a snow pusher. I am debating on what I should get for next years snow removal for the skid steer. I am debating on whether I should go with a V-blade or a smooth bucket or a Kage. Any advice on any three of these would be greatly appreciated. The reason I am looking for a new tool is that this pusher gets really heavy to push with some snows we receive. My thoughts on the Kage would be I could use the blade first then put the box on to clean up the rows I leave. The V-blade to take a first pass down the middle and work from there. Ideas are racing through my mind. Thanks
  2. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

what size pusher are you using?? maybe too big,.. i think the problem may be operating?? just saying can't you take smaller bite rather than spending money on a new piece???
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

When you say smooth bucket, do you mean a regular dirt bucket with no trip protection? That's a big NO for every storm usage.

A Kage is going to work circles around a Vee blade. Even better, a Horst or Daniels.
  4. eastcoastjava

eastcoastjava Senior Member
    from Boston

Yea, no way i would run a regular/snow bucket on a skid wait until you smash a manhole cover that is a little bit to high, or the best are speed bumps.Good way to cause damage to the area and a machine, even if you do know where every little rough spot is you will eventually forget when your tired. Cant speak about a cage, but if your pusher is to big, a thought might be to buy an old plow 9 or 10 foot referb it and get or fab a pair of edges to form a box, good example would be demon wings not sure how they work though. just a way to save a couple hundred or a few thousand, and you could have a straight blade and have to option of wings that are removable.
  5. cjwoz

cjwoz Senior Member
    from CHICAGO

I have a 2004 s250 bobcat with a two speed. I have a 10' artic and a 8' Kage. In my opinion, Both of these pieces have there're places. My operator really likes the artic just because its simpler to use. I love the way the artic scrapes. The Kage works very great as well. I use the artic on a rather large lot which has spots that are uneven. The artic works great for that lot. I only really use the Kage if I need to back up a truck for a street job that I have. I will say that both are built like tanks and the Kage will not disapoint.

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

8or 9 ft bucket is probably the cheapest option and works for all applications. Sno pusher work great for open lots, but not generally for all areas. Kage is a great piece of equipment and once you get the hang of it will run circles around a pusher, but the are spendy.
  7. snocrete

snocrete Banned

It would be cheaper to buy some dedicated snow tires/rims and keep running the pusher. You'd be amazed how much they will improve the performance of your skid.
  8. showsnow

showsnow Junior Member
    from Kansas

Thanks I appreciate the feed back. I will be looking into some new tires I think that might have to do with some of my problem. But my snow pusher was one from a welding shop made around here so its has its issues. The snow pusher I have now is 6ft now and I do more driveways and home owner association plots then open parking lots. Trying to get bigger just want to take another step forward.
  9. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Does the pusher have a backdrag feature? Personally, I would rather have a staight blade over a pusher(even if it did have the backdrag setup) for doing primarily driveways.
  10. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I've got the same machine.I picked up a 8' fisher blade.When I find the time I'm going to mount it to an extra adapter plate and either add pusher style box ends or mount the ends on angle like a blizzardplow.I bought a cushioning valve to protect cylinders and hoses.Cheap alternative.Using a 1 yard bucket now mostly to move piles occasionally,but like others have mentioned you will take some hard hits.I think also the weak link is tires.
  11. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

These machines might be on the small size,but I swear I can move snow faster with a 1 yard bucket than when I was running a cat 416 with a 1.5 bucket.Very nimble! Before and a few hours later.

blizzard 2013 016.jpg

blizzard 2013 002.jpg

blizzard 2013 001.jpg

blizzard 2013 013.jpg
  12. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Kage. We have one at my job on a small loader. Works amazing!
  13. gpservices

gpservices Junior Member
    from CT

bobcat A300 loaded tires

I never thought bobcats had enough tire to make it worth loading a tire but wow my buddy has a bobcat A300 with the all wheel steering with loaded tires and standard bucket and wow that thing went through our 30inches in feb 2013 after it rained like nothing, the engine would bog before the tires would spin, worked better then some skid steers ive seen with chains.

14. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

On a full size machine like a 300, the added weight in each tire is close to 200LB. Do the math.