1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What rate to set buyers spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bo-Line, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Bo-Line

Bo-Line Junior Member

I have a Buyers S05 spreader with the variable control. As I am new to this can anyone give me a general "starting" setting to do a average size parking lot? There's usually about 1/4 inch of ice or packed snow when I'm done plowing. Oh and I just using generic rock salt in it. Thanks,
  2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

First of all why is there 1/4 inch of snow and or ice after plowing that makes a big difference when applying salt, second once you apply the salt you'll have to come back and plow out the slush that it will leave, and finally i just use my salt spreader full speed once you get to know how far it spreads then you;ll know haw far you have to over lap you passes.
  3. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Just one speed high. if your leaving a 1/4 inch of frozen stuff on the ground sounds like your cutting edge needs replaced.
  4. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

You'll set it on 9 and forget it pretty much.

I only turn it lower for a few seconds on one place going through an entry way with curbs and grass on both sides.
  5. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

wow. Seems like you are wasting alot of salt. When salting after plowing, Our drivers set there V-box spreaders between 40-50 on auger and 60-80 on spinner depending on pass width desired and speed they can drive. desired speed 5 mph..
  6. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

If you are leaving a 1/4 " then are you using the plow shoes? or putting the blade all the way down? If using shoes TAKE them OFF:dizzy:
  7. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

I put it on 9 and just haul azz!! seriously, I just adjust my drive speed, but I only have areas that are wide enough to do that...