1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What protectant to use on paint?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Turf Commando, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

I'm asked since being (Professional detailer) what a good wax or sealer to use before winter to keep salt from harming vehicle finish.?
    A) I recommend a marine/aviation Collinite 870 Fleet Wax protectant for various reasons, but the best reason is it cant withstand harsh enviroment and is detergent resistant..

2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Lots of people on here use Fluid Film.

3. Turf Commando

I use fluid film also, but I wouldn't spray my vehicle paint with it.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Why not?? I have a new truck coming, we will spray it top to bottom with FF. The paint will never get another coat but I want it to run down in all the little creases and crevice to keep salty water out. them we'll wipe it down with bullfrog SPF50 and then wax with whatever wax we have around. It doesn't much matter, the FF and Bullfrog will do the protecting, at that point we are just going for a shine.

5. Turf Commando

Basher, I can see you undercoating a vehicle with FF but I use specific products for everything from rubber to plastic to chrome.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

My truck isn't a show queen. It works for a living and most of it's miles are in the ice and snow. I want FF to run in all the spots where wax no matter how it's applied will ever reach. I don't worry about coating the flat one piece painted surfaces, plastics, tires. I'll pull plastic inner fender wells off and spray behind them, I want FF to run in every place two pieces of metal touch, remember it penetrate's so it will get in to tiny crevices and application from the topside allows gravity to assist.

Bullfrog50 is a great UV protectant, it will keep a red slipped boat from turning pink/purple, prevent suntan, prevent vinyl and Mylar lettering from fading and provide UV protection to plastics and rubbers. Same chemical is used in BF50 as is added to paints and plastics to increase there UV durability.

Wax is wax is wax when all you want it to do is protect paint. I'm not concerned with a car show shine this is a truck not a toy I want hardcore protection before showroom shine.

Now you want to talk about my toys then it is a entirely different subject while they have all had FF applied to the seams and hardware, carefully and allowed to sit and soak before all the surface material was removed so they could be buffed. I try to get FF on all the hardware, eventually I may have/want to remove it. BF50 is applied as necessary to the exterior, IMHO it holds up better to the weather then the "specialty" stuff.

7. Turf Commando

I go for showroom shine and protection, can't stand driving a dull truck.
    My arsenol of Meguiars Pro and detailer line products is (commercial) and capable to perform tasks like FF. After all FF wasn't around when I got into paint restoration..
    I've heard of bullfrog protectant but I've been using Meguiar's #40 for years..