1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What position do you keep the plow in while driving? Straight or angled?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dondo, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Dondo

Dondo Senior Member

Just curious... When I drive with my plow on I keep it in the straight position (do not have overheating issues) but I notice a lot of people keep thier plow angled full left or full right while driving. Are there any positives to having it angled besides airflow into the radiator or is it a " to each thier own" type of thing. Also, some guys drive around with the plow just inches off the ground is there any reason to keep it low? I drive with mine all the way up and again I have not had any issues with it overheating. So basically I am just wondering what is the correct position to have your plow in while going from one account to another?

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

No.... Not AGAIN :nod::nod::realmad:
  3. Indy

Indy Senior Member

this doesn't end well.............:popcorn:
  4. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

I always take in consideration what direction I'm traveling, wind direction and speed and then it depends on the mood I'm in.
  5. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

when its cold i leave it straight and when its warm i angle it to the left and as low as possible with about 5" ground clearence from the corner
  6. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

leave it on the ground not worth destroying my front end lifting it and carrying it around.... as far as angling, too much work to get out of the truck and manually angle my blade.

:rolleyes: :laughing:
  7. lumps

lumps Senior Member

I almost always leave mine angled full left. Makes right hand turns a lot easier, since you don't swing as far out.
  8. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

low and a little to the left just like my.... well any way:rolleyes:
  9. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

if u have a wide blade you should angle to avoid someone hitting it but if you have a 7.6 or smaller really dont need to worry about that

CJSLAWNSERVICE Senior Member

V haha not straight or angled
  11. Michigansnowkin

Michigansnowkin Member

:)Neither, I have a v plow
  12. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I angle mine all the way to the left.
  13. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 Member

Someone once told me to always travel with the plow angled to the right so that if you were to hit a snowdrift on the side of the road, the plow would "push you away" versus pulling you into it.
  14. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

LOL doesn't that just make perfect sense....
  15. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

On my 3500hd with the 9 footer i always keep it angled all the way left, passing cars is much easier. With my excursion i keep it straight unless im on a back road or really narrow road.

When people drive to slow in front of me i put it down and angle right to get them out of my way.... lol
  16. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Always angled to the right, no matter where I'm going!
  17. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I keep mine V'ed.....lol
  18. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Someone once told me to always travel with the plow angled to the right so that if you were to hit a snowdrift on the side of the road, the plow would "push you away" versus pulling you into it.

But it will take you then into oncomming traffic.....
    I've been told the opposite from a Western rep. Angled left If you get rear-ended and pushed into a vehicle in front of you it will direct you toward the ditch and not oncomming traffic...unless you're in the middle of a 4 lane highway....

So the best thing to do is to take the plow off at the end of each job, get a hernia putting into your bed manually, re-attach at the next job site or have a blade at each job.:laughing:

I go to the right....more habit than anything and I will drive straight blade too....
  19. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

20. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

The word little stood out in that statement. :laughing::p

All the way up and straight!;)