1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what plugs do you use?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 85w/350, Jun 4, 2001.

1. 85w/350

85w/350 Senior Member

The last time prior to buying plugs my mechanic told me to stray from platnium spark plugs in my small block 350. Therefore i bought some AC Delco plain jane 99cent plugs(I gapped them to .045)...I had been running platnium and now it just doesnt feel like it used to...I think it really ran better with platnium plugs...I have had these new ones on for about 3mths now and I am about to go back with the platnium despite my mechanics opinion. Any reason why I shouldnt run platnium tipped plugs? If so what other type should i try? And if you question the wires they are 8mm and all spaced and new also

2. Garet

Garet Senior Member

Platnium

I have always used bosch plat plugs. I have had no problems with them. I also run 8mm wire. I don't see why your mechanic told you to stray from them.

3. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

I've always used bosch platinum. They work well. They only time I've ever heard of them not being recomended I think is with a supercharger because of the very high temperature they run at. I'd stick with them.

4. 85w/350

85w/350 Senior Member

sounds good to me...supercharger high temp? As in just the engine running high temp? Could he be saying that because of my MSD ignition maybe the sparks are too hot for platnium?

5. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Just the tips get really hot. That's why they last longer, they don't fowl as easily. I'd say send MSD an email, I'm sure it's OK to use the platinum, but they'd be the autority to ask.

6. RTallday

RTallday Member

First off, i would stay with the ac delco plugs. Thats what the factory uses, and thats what i use. But if you are going to go platinum, try the new ones by CHAMPION. their regular plugs leave something to be desired, but their new platinums are pretty good so far. Good luck

-Rich

7. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The MSD ignition eats away the electrodes on the platinum plugs. My buddy found that out a few years ago when the platinums hit the market. He runs Splitfires now, and hasn't had a problem. Don't get me worng, you can run the platinums, but you will have to change them much more often is all.

Personally, I run AC Delco R44T in both my trucks.
    No problems in 11 years. And I have been told by many, not to use Champion. Their reason was that Champion makes a "generic" spark plug. It can run in many different engines, where as Bosch, Motorcraft, AC Delco, etc. make specific plugs.

~Chuck