1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ACFarmer, Feb 9, 2010.

1. ACFarmer

ACFarmer Junior Member

New to the site and just bought a 96 Dodge 3500 4x4 and am looking to put a plow on it for personal use and to make a little money on the side. I already had a western 8 1/2 foot uni mount but I'm not having any luck finding a mount to fit my dodge. I found a pretty good deal on a very lighty used boss plow but its only a 8 footer and I dont think it will be wide enough with it angled on my dually? Cant really afford a v-plow or thats the way I would be going. What would be a good plow for me on this truck? Thanks guys!

2. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Get the boss plow and throw a set of wings on it. I have also heard that dodge mounts are a pain to get. If you can fabricate, then you could modify the western mount to fit, but I would go for the boss and wings.

3. ACFarmer

ACFarmer Junior Member

I started to fab up mounts for the western but its gonna be a real job. My biggest question though is 8 foot enough for a dually? I've seen a couple with 8 footers on them but I'm not sure and I'm looking at another 700 for the boss wings......

4. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

You can either fab a set of wings yourself, or buy pro wings for a much lesser price than the boss wings. I will try to post pics later of what I did-there are several people that have built their own wings if you search. The biggest problem with an 8 foot on a dually is if you turn a lot. Parking lots will be fine. Some people even put on single tires in the back for the winter.

5. ACFarmer

ACFarmer Junior Member

Yah I have thought about that. Figured I would only really run into the problem when I had it angled a good bit. Just dont want to spend this much money and find out that its not enough for my needs. Its a BOSS super duty plow only plowed with a couple times and still has a full 2 year warranty and they are asking 3,600 for it. I'm just getting started so I dont know if thats a good price or not?

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Get at least a 9'
    Delaer service and suppoty is MORE important then brand