1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What plow would you use?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by packey, Jan 12, 2008.

1. packey

packey Member

I know I have posted a similar post before but got little reponse.
    I am building up my truck for next season and was wanting some rec on blades.
    I know I want a v or a blade with wings
    I also want to be able to back drag.
    I do mostly apartment and condo lots
    any suggestions

2. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

How many driveways are we talking about A lot? or A few? if you are going to be doing alot of back dragging then a snowway w/ down pressure would be a good choice.

3. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

I just picked up a Sno-way 8" 29T:
    Trip edge, down pressure for back dragging.
    Avail in Steel, Poly or Stainless.
    I read on here that someone is now making wings to fit most of the Sno-way blades.
    * They are not adjustable wings, if that is what you wanted. They are fixed.

4. packey

packey Member

I do very few drive ways . Mine are decent sizzed parking lots. Actually the guy who did one of mine last year used a loader. I use an older dodge power wagon right now but I am building up a larger truck for next season. I want to go as big as the truck and wallet will alow.
    My wallet says about 5500
    My trucks power train says 9 ft :) 96 cummins that has plenty of power. I have a 5200 lb front end. so I am figuring about 1250+/- lbs

5. packey

packey Member

Nite Lord how do you like your 18 inch wheels while pushing snow. I need to replace my factory 16.5 wheels they are almost obselet and finding good snowtires for them is a pain

6. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

I haven't had any problem with them. The tire selection is fairly broad (even in E rated tires only). The truck has a ton of torque to begin with. The larger tire/wheel combo doesn't bother it in the least. However with the 35's my plow frame sits at about 14 inches. I really should be down around 10 - 11 inches. I'm considering getting a set of BFG 265/65-18 for next winter. That will put it at 10.2 inches.

Now, maybe the plow trips more than it needs too, but I haven't seen any adverse wear or problems. Next year I should be back down with in Sno-Way specs.

7. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I would suggest a Blizzard 810. 8-10' of blade to push with and it's pretty heavy. My 860HD does a nice job of back blading because of its weight.

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i like westerns and fishers