1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What plow would you recomend?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by born2farm, Jun 26, 2008.

1. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Ok guys.

I need to put a plow on my new truck. I will be plowing 10-15 drives per snow and 2 small parking lots. Here is some specs on my truck. 1997 Ford F-150 4x4. it has the 4.6L v8 and a 5 spd transmission. Regular cab short bed. I know it isnt an ideal plow rig but i need to be able and serve my lawn care customers with snow removeal. thanks

heres a pic of the truck for reference

[​IMG]

thanks

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Go with a Sno-Way.

3. born2farm

thanks. i was looking at there 26 series. just not sure if i wanna go with a new plow for a used truck

4. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

go with a sno-way and be done with it

5. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

There are some used Sno-ways around. Check your local dealer. He may be getting something in soon as the New Sno-Ways are very nice plows.

7. born2farm

thanks guys. it turns out that my local Snoway dealer also is the one i get most of my lawn care equipment from.

8. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Blizzard 760LT or a Western MIdweight.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Great then you all ready have a relationship with them. that's a plus, a good dealer is more important then the plow make sometimes

Regular cab short beds make great driveway trucks!

10. born2farm

ya i know they make nice drive rigs. just worried about the 5 spd/

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Don't be.

As long as you don't abuse it excessively, the Mazda built M50D 5-speeds will take a surprising amount of punishment before succumbing to failure.

And parts are plentiful if you do. At least at this point....

12. born2farm

ya i know its built pretty well.

the biggest thing is the time to shift while say backing into a road then pulling back in and stuff..ill just load her with warning lights and go

13. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

id go with a sno way or a small blizzard

14. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Go with the Snoway or a Boss 7.5 steel, since it is lighter than the poly plows

15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd say to go with a snoway since your already familiar with the local dealer and toby on here is a very active company rep.

16. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

I would agree with the snoway since you already are familiar with the dealer and they know you. The dealer in my area here has been giving me great prices because I go there all the time to buy my equipment so maybe you will get hooked up with a nice price.

17. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I strongly recommend you use the search function on the gray line at the top. Search plowing with a standard transmission etc. It will give you valuable tips on plowing with a manual transmission. It can be done, but you need to know the tricks so you don't fry the clutch. An old timer taught me and it saved me from a fried clutch for 3 years. One guy here fried his the first time out with a new truck last year.

18. bakerc8

bakerc8 Senior Member

myer would look nice on that

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

They still make them?

20. Greybeard

Greybeard Member
    from MA

Brock - That's a sharp truck. I've plowed for 20+ years with nothing but stick shift trucks, large and small. There are a few rules: don't ride the clutch - get it engaged before you start pushing. Don't bite off more than you can chew - try to plow with the storm, not after. Don't be afraid to use low gear or low range. It's easier on the truck.
    I have to back out onto a real busy road, too. and I know what you mean. I push the shift lever into neutral before I get all the way back, and coast the last few feet. That way, you only have to move it one notch to go forward. Keep an eye on the front end of that F150. Those independent front suspensions aren't as tough as the solid axles. (But they sure ride better.)
    You can get a pretty good education on the various plows from the links at the top of the page. See what each manufacturer says about your particular truck, and you'll have a solid understanding when you choose one. The guys are right about a reliable dealer being more important than the brand name - good ones stay open during the storm and have plenty of parts on hand. Good luck.