1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What plow would you pick and why??

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Mackman, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Well i think im going to be buying a snow plow for my pick-up. Will be doing roads in a township. My dad works for the township with his own truck plowing and salting. He has a 8ft fisher and loves it and had never had 1 problem with it since new. (1996) It is an older style fisher with the pump under the hood that works with a belt coming off the motor. Only wires on it go to the head lights.

Alittle about my truck 2004 f-350 4x4 6,0 powerstroke reg. cab. 6 speed stick shift. I think im going to go with a fisher 8ft. But just want to get other peoples 2censt on it.

Then again i also have a job plowing with a tri axle dump truck for a guy paying 35/hr cash. So is it even worth it to buy my own plow and use my truck for 85/hr. Plus spend around 4500-5000 for the plow and then i got to get insurance. Btw who do you guys recommend for insurance ?? Thanks

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I'd just stay and beat someone else truck.

3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Ok, I have an opinion for both questions.
    1) If your going to buy a plow go with what you can get serviced locally. Nothing sucks more than to have a plow go down at 6 am and you have to drive 45 minutes to an hour to take it somewhere to get it fixed. So if you have a local Fisher dealer, and you seem to be happy with Fisher, then buy a Fisher.
    2) I have to opinions on this one. If your make 35 an hour cash, then why buy a plow, insurance, and put the wear and tear on your truck. However, if you making 35 an hour cash, and not reporting, then I hate to tell you that it will only be a matter of time before you get caught, and there goes the easy money, so with that thought why not go legit, and do it for yourself.

just my .02 cents

4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You should plow for the other guy IMO. You don't have to worry about breaking down and and having to find a back up and yoou don't have to buy a plow and insurance.

5. nekos

nekos Senior Member

I assume you will be working for a public works ? Use their trucks. Plowing public roads will kill a small truck.

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Save your truck and plow with the other guys set-up.

7. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

plow for the other guy....ive never plowed with a stick shift and i wouldnt want to.

8. grandview

It's very easy. The truck his dad is using now is what setup I used for years only difference was it was a 77 Chevy.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Stick shift would be best for roads.

10. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

I would imagine he is plowing with a stick shift... He mentioned it was a Tri Axle... Has to be a manual tranny, unless its a brand new truck with the new Allison... But he wouldnt have plowed with it yet, they are that new! :p

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Hasn't Eaton/Fuller been putting automatic 10 and 18 speeds in OTR trucks for a while now?

12. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

didnt even realize that...my dad has a 99 ranger 5 speed...that thing is a nightmare to drive in the winter, maybe because it only weighs a thousand pounds lol

13. Mackman

from S.E. PA

Fisher dealer is 10min away

Get caught LMAO. I know of so many people that get paid cash never hread of any of them getting caught. I worked a bunch of cash jobs on the side. No big deal.

14. grandview

Good thing the IRS don't troll the threads here,I think?:confused:

15. Mackman

from S.E. PA

I dont think it is that hard on a truck my dads been doing it for 13 years with this set up and had hardly any problems
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats what im thinking

Stick aint that bad lol

I agree

Tri axle has an 8LL for a tranny
    Not 10 and 18. More like 6 speeds for full auto. They have what you call a super 10 but it still has a clutch.

Thanks everyone for your postsussmileyflag

16. Mackman

from S.E. PA

BTW no one said anything about a good insurance company to maybe call to get a quote from.

17. grandview

Find a broker,this way they can look at all the insurance companies ,then find another broker to make sure the other one is not screwing you.

18. nekos

nekos Senior Member

I'm not saying you can't do it. It has more to do with how well the roads are maintained. I would plow my neighborhood roads and probably not have any problems. They are all well maintained and perfect. Down in the city with the pot holes and cracks all over that place. That would tear my truck apart.

19. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

But the super 10 is still a manual, its just basically splits the shifting that you actually have to do, correct?

By the way, what year is your fathers F350?
    I have a 94 F350, same pump under hood Fisher MM1, with snofoil. They look a like.

20. Mackman

from S.E. PA

Its as 96.

On the super 10 im not sure. I think you just use the clutch for starting and stoping but not sure never drove one. Just 8LL,10speeds and 13 speeds thats it.