1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what plow western or boss

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by dodgeguy99, Jan 23, 2007.

1. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

hey guys how are you all doing i am going to be doing some sub contracted snow plowing and have narrowed my choice of plows down to a western 8' or boss 8' i like the western because if the plow breaks down you can use the chains to hike the blade back up and take it to get it fixed i also like how the western gives you added grown clearance in the off season. i was looking at the boss plows and they have good comparison videos on there website. so my question is how do you guys like your boss or western plows? how many problems do you have with them?

2. Snowbrdr360

Snowbrdr360 Senior Member

I'm partial to western just because that is what I have always had. The ultra mount is great now too! No issues with my new plow and with my old uni-mount I had a relay go bad once, but that was it!! Go with the Western!

3. MDB270

MDB270 Junior Member

Western all the way.......they're like a sore dicky, you can't beat' em :)

4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I say Boss.....I have had Western and Boss. My Western Unimount constantly had the paint peeling of of it, constantly had problems with it (bought it used though), was a pain to hook and unhook etc. My Boss is 3 years old and looks new.....no joke! I wash it after every event, spray Rust Oleum on the cutting edge after each winter, and it has never once let me down. My buddy has a 2 year old Western 8'6" Ultramount on his 2500HD and it the paint is starting to rust and peel already!!! :eek: Boss offers extremely easy mounting/dismounting, very fast and reliable hydraulics, and awesome durability. My first Boss and 3 years later.....I will never buy anything but Boss! :salute:

5. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

i am having a hard time making this decision betweeen Boss and western the guy i currently plow with has a brand new 9' 2" Boss V and it broke its third time plowing. i have a friend who has a 4 year old western and no mechanical problems

6. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I bought a new western in 98" and it still works fine the paint is peeling but works fine, now I bought my 99" two years ago and it came with a 7.6 Boss, I like the quick responce with the Boss and it's on it's third year plowing either one will work fine it's a matter of prefrence. Good luck.

7. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

thank you all for your responses i think i am leaning towards the western now all i have to worry about is paying for the plow:cry:

8. Snowbrdr360

Snowbrdr360 Senior Member

Go for the western. As far as what everyone says about the paint, its all in how you take care of it, I wash mine down after Im done using it. Also, western changed their powdercoat this year

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

dodge guy,do you know what broke on the Boss?

10. KLM Service

KLM Service Junior Member

Dodgeguy,
    I have a new 8' 6" Western MVP w/ultramount. So far this season I have only ran it 8 1/2 hours (last Sunday). Like you, I liked the idea of the chains and the additional clearance of the mounting frame in the off season. It's my opinion that both plows are superior and it boils down to sales and SERVICE!

11. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

i am not sure he didnt even want to admit his plow broke because he was always braging how boss plows are the best and never have any problems. but to be fair he does beat the living sh*t out of his equiptment.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe he forgot to "knock on wood" after bragging about his plow.:D They all break at one point or another,it's not "if" but "when".

13. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

lol maybe he thinks he is not going to have any problems because he has a 50k plow rig

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep, lotta guy's learn that one the hard way!

15. kubotazd21

kubotazd21 Member

Does one dealer carry both brand of plows? Both are great plows. I don't think you can go wrong with either plow. Just remember, anybody can sell you anything, but I think it's the service after the sell is what sets good dealers apart from not so good dealers..

16. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

thats another thing i like about the western there is a western dealer 20 minutes from my house the boss dealer is much farther

17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I have a 98 RTII it works great!
    original pump and rams. Just do your yearly service, grease it and wash it off after your done. You will get years of service out of your new Boss.

Just like all of you 1/2 ton owners who never have any problems with there trucks.
    I never have any problems with my Boss Plow. lol
    I can not blame it for breaking when I slam it in to a tree, no.
    Can I blame the controller for sticking a little after I spilled countless cups of coffee on it, no

There all made out of the same stuff....
    They all will break down.
    I do not like the chain lift on the western. Why the need for all of the extra parts just to raise the plow?

18. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

go with the western your right if something happens you can get the plow home we use a ultra mount setup havent had any problem with it yet

19. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Because it all ready has a chain hanging on the front it is easer to get it home when it breaks down, is a selling point?
    You still have to lift it up.
    Do you have a jack in your truck to change the tire?
    You can run it up a snow pile to raise it up , then just chain it up with your tow chain.
    You do carry one of those don't you.

Maybe you should be looking at the Boss I have never had to do that(chain it up) with My Boss.
    My western yes.......

20. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i will take the pepsi challange anyday from a boss to western and i drive em up high i never had to lift a plow then again i never had a problem