1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What plow to use

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by danthemowerman, Aug 4, 2003.

1. danthemowerman

danthemowerman Junior Member

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport with 2 wheel drive.
    I would like to know what plows would fit my truck and how wide of a plow I could get. Also what kind of weight would I need to add to my bed

Any help would greatly appreciated
    Thankyou kindly
  2. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

3. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I wouldnt even try to plow with a 2wd unless you're talking about a 1 ton dually or larger .Plus i dont think theres a plow made for a 2wd half ton.
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2003
  4. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Welcome to plowsite:waving:

i dont think plowing with a 1/2 ton 2wd is the best idea. If u will only be plowing ur driveway then it would work fine but i would not recommend plowing to much with it. a7.5 would be big enough plow for ur truck. look at sno-way.

5. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Welcome to plowsite. A 2wd with a lightweight suspension is not recommended for plowing. As was stated above check out that previous post. Good luck in what ever descision you make.

6. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

danthemowerman: You have been registered since 2001! You have been here alot longer than most of us so you should know that a 2wd truck will be useless plowing in snow. My suggestion for a plow would be a 2x12 and a couple 2x4's :nono:
  7. danthemowerman

danthemowerman Junior Member

I've been registered for awhile but I only really do lawncare so I rarely check in, but I plan on only plowing small, flat driveways and tiny neighbourhoods all withing a mile of my home in the off season. We usually don't get more the 2-3 inches at a time and that's only 5-10 times over the winter. So I can struggle with a 2wd, but what's a goo plow to use and size?

So far all I've got is that a 7.5 ft could work and to look at sno-way. Any other advice?

8. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

2WD is not the best setup you would want for plowing, but you mentioned that you would be plowing flat and small driveways, and mentioned that you don't get alot of snow at once, so I think your 2WD would not be a big problem. Just be sure to put some ballast in the rear, such as tube sand. They are easy to load, and easy to take out when you are done plowing. Also if you ever get stuck, you can open the tube sand and spread some sand for more traction. I think that the 7.5' straight plow would work fine for you. But I would like to know what truck do you have?

Also you can check out Chuck's FAQ - I know that there are thread about plowing with 2WD.

Good luck.
  9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Well, first advise is not to plow with a 2wd. However, if you're going to anyway, then a few suggestions. Get as light a plow as possible. 7.5' is the largest, you might try for a 6.5' although your rear tires might be running over snow. I'm not sure of the wheel base of a Dodge Sport. Second suggestion is to put about 5-700# of ballast in the bed. Concrete blocks should work well. Get as good of tires as possible - All Weather tires won't do it. Get something with deep tread. For example - Cooper Discoverer M&S tires. Do not drop off a driveway or street or get a tire in a depression. Carry ice melt with you to throw under the tires for when you do get stuck (and you will). You could also carry a come-a-long or attach an electric winch to the trailer hitch. Carry a cell phone and the number of a tow truck.

Never stop so you have to up an incline backyards.
  10. wyldman

wyldman Member

Get a Snoway plow.It will actually help with traction for your 2WD.It has a downpressure system which helps it scrape better,but it also will shift weight to the rear wheels.Not much,but it will help.They are also a very lightweight plow.

Cooper Discoverer M&S would be my choice for tires as well.Lots of ballast (make sure it's well secured !) would also be a big help.Plowing with the storm will also make it much easier,as you won't have to push as much snow.The main problem you will have is when you get a large pile or windrow built up,and the freshly plowed ground freezes over.It will be impossible to move with a 2WD.Plow accordingly and try not to get yourself into those situations,and you should be OK.

Adding a set of Timbrens,or some sort of front suspension aid will be a benifit as well.Not only will it help the front end,but keeping the front end up aids in weight transfer to the rear,so it will help plant the rear tires better.

You may also want to look at studding the Coopers,for even better traction.
  11. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with Mick that you should put about 500# to 700# of ballast. But I disagree about using concrete block as a ballast. It would not be a pretty sight if you or somebody crashed head-on. The concrete block would fly off and become a deadly missle toward the cab. I also advise against using firewood for the same reason. This is why I would suggest tube sand or bagged salt. A V sander would also be used as a ballast, and must be properly secured.

I am not sure about using salt as for gaining traction when you get stuck. I do not want to critize Mick's option, but I think that sand is what you need to get traction when you get stuck. The sand is what provide the traction. Salt is to melt snow and ice, and it take awhile for it to work through. We cannot afford to wait 20 or 30 minutes for the snow/ice to melt some, then deal with slush after it melted.
  12. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Oops. :eek: . Stephen, you are correct about the salt. I forgot to qualify it in that I only use treated salt (Magic Salt). I've thrown a handful of that under front and rear of each tire and by the time I got back in the cab, it had started working and I just drove right out.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

look for a used plow truck 4x4
    park it and use it when it snows
    that way you dont ruin your everyday driver

14. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Actually, it's been my experience that rock salt, being composed of big granules as it is, is, in the short term an aid to traction in the same manner sand is. The fact that it melts snow is a bonus.

I generally try to do as much plowing as possible in two wheel drive, which proves that you can push snow in 2wd, but I *invariably* end up engaging 4wd sometime before I'm done. I'd hate not to have it as an option.

Do a search, there've been some real informative threads about the use of tire chains. They might help...
  15. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Im no expert, no really Im not, please dont try to tell me I am, :D, but in my oppinion 2wd is absolutely useless. Lets think about this for a minute. You say you are only gonna plow around your area and on flat ground. Thats fine, but the world isnt flat. No matter how hard you try, you are gonna hit snowcovered inclines and you arent gonna get up them so easily and you really have no chance whatsoever if its slippery out. Now lets think about this for a second. A 2wd truck only has power to the rear wheels, but most likely it isnt a posi rear, so therefor only one wheel is getting the power. When that one wheel starts spinning, the other does nothing. So you are gonna be driving around in a 2wd truck, with the plow raised going from house to house and getting stuck everywhere. Remember this, when you raise the plow, the frontend drops and the backend goes up. When the backend goes up, you just took even more of what little traction you had, away. Sure you can add ballast back there, but why even bother trying to make something work that we are telling you isnt gonna work the way you would like it too? I dont care what anyone on this site says, a 2wd truck cannot do snowplowing. Im not talkin about the big heavy duty trucks, Im talking about normal sized trucks, anything up to a 1 ton. If you really wanna plow snow, you gotta have a 4wd truck ATLEAST. Mike
  16. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

If you are determined to use the 2wd, you probably have an open diff. When you do get stuck, and only one tire is getting power, apply the e brake GENTLY whil giving it gas, this will help to get the other tire spinning, it doesn't work all the time, but I have gotten out of some mud by doing this. Just my $.02
  17. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

My opinion is dont even think about a 2wd plow truck ,I do use 2wd plow trucks but there F-650s and they are plowing streets which is way different than plowing big lots.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2003
  18. EIB

EIB Senior Member

I would think the best thing to use is a 4 by 4 four wheeler with a plow. Put it in the back of the truck and take it out when you need it.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

that way when your open rear two wheel drive truck gets stuck
    you can unstick it with your quad

20. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Yea, then you will have 2 vehicles stuck instead of just one. Mike