1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What plow to put on my new GMC 4500

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rnblase, Mar 9, 2008.

1. rnblase

rnblase Senior Member

I bought a 2004 GMC 4500 Topkick 4x2 and I going to out fit it. I would like to get some opinions on what plow to put on it. I have been looking at the Blizzard 8611, Western Pro Plow 9', Western WideOut.. I am puting Hydraulics on the truck to run the spreader, eather PTO or Clutch Pump.
    Thanks for you help.
    Rick ussmileyflag
  2. truckermatt

truckermatt Junior Member

got any pictures????
  3. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I think the 9' plow is to small so I would get the 8611.
  4. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I would look at the vikings. you really do need 9.5 or larger.
  5. bnbsnow

bnbsnow Junior Member

Dont put pto/clutch pump on truck. I run a boss 9'2"V & a Western SS 10'V spreader on my two 4500s
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

ten foot Snoway and a truckcraft TC-160 Electric undertailgate.
  7. bnbsnow

bnbsnow Junior Member

The savings will more than pay for the ss spreader, I have 3 ss spreaders & they are all Tecumseh 10 hp gas, I've been plowing since 1978. I hope this helps you.
  8. bnbsnow

bnbsnow Junior Member

4500 upfit

Rick check out the western pro plus 8.6 with the wing attach. or the boss 9'2" they both work just fine, also try the SS western V gas spreaders out 10' works well. Hope this helps.
  9. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

Have you consitered the fisher mc plows? Very heavy built, split trip edge.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Get a 10 foot boss v or straight blade. Buyers makes a hydro under tailgate spreader, but I am not sure if it is something that is for a truck of your size. I think it is made for like ford f450s and f550s?.
  11. Snowguy01

Snowguy01 Senior Member
    from Erie

go with the full size bilzzard 8611
  12. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

:salute: that is the only way I would go
  13. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

When the spreader gets low is 4x2 going to be able to push the snow a 9' + blade can carry?
  14. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

I second the fisher MC series. I would go with at least a 9' if not a 10' or 11' depending on what you plow a highway type plow may be in order. does the top kick has the durmax or the CAT diesel ? either way with some ballast you should be able to push plenty of snow with that truck

15. Greybeard

Greybeard Member
    from MA

The Fisher MC is a very heavy plow. The 4500 is a little light for that blade, especially in 2WD. I'd go with a standard 9' HD Fisher if it were my rig. If you'd rather a full sprung blade, Western, Meyers, Diamond, etc. or the V-plow of your choice.
  16. straightlinelan

straightlinelan Member

I would go with western or fisher, but i am partial to western. I prefer that over my boss. Especially if the hydralics fail and you have to lift the plow to get it to your shop. I would be concerned about ballast also once the spreader is empty, however, if you arent going to plow with an empty spreader than dont worry about it. we put 3 tons of ballast in our trucks, and even then we loose traction sometimes.
  17. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

What type of plow(s) do you run now?
    Do you feel they are durable and reliable?
    How far do you drive for service/parts?
    Does your current brand offer a plow for that trucks application?
    If you can run the same brand that you already have on that truck too, that's what I would do. Stocking/having spare parts for repairs is easier....

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i tnink a 10 footer would be the right size...I have 9 footers on one tons and think it would be too small on a bigger truck

i have a central system on my 5500 with an undertailgate but no plow

i will be running the plow seperately when i get one
  19. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

definately 10' or bigger straight or V blade. I usually think of a 9' blade as a plow for a 3/4 ton pickup.
  20. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I would go with a Wideout, because I don't think you can beat a Western. But if you wanted to go bigger, than the Blizzard would be the way to go.