1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What plow to put on a 150hp tractor?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by oldchevy84, Feb 17, 2010.

1. oldchevy84

oldchevy84 Junior Member

I have a McCormick MTX150 that i use for farm work in the summer months, i plow snow in the winter and have the opportunity to add some large commercial properties. I would like to set this tractor up for snow and am looking for some advice on what to equip it with, plow or pusher? what size? what is a good brand?. The tractor is 150hp and weighs about 14000lbs. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Check out Horst (HLA) or Degelman plows made in Canada. Get in contact with JD Dave on plowsite here, hes got the heavy iron on the park lots in S. Ontario.

3. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I think that machine would go well with a 12ft pusher. You have enough power for a 14ft but don't think you have the weight. I would add some wheel weights and put a few Klbs of weight on the 3pt.
    Robert

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I'm sorry.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Easy.............

6. SMLCAT

SMLCAT Member

Wow that sounds like a pretty big machine.
    Being a rookie take my comments/questions with a grain of salt but is the machine 4WD?
    What kind of tires do you have on it Ag?
    Given the right set up and assuming the ground is level I would have a hard time believing you couldn't push a 14' blade...

7. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

They are talking about a 14' pusher, you are right it could push a 14' blade.

8. oldchevy84

oldchevy84 Junior Member

Yes, the tractor is 4wheel drive and has ag tires. It doesn't't have a loader on it, does a pusher work well when its frame mounted?

9. augerandblade

Pusher works best when frame mounted. We have a A frame from front and it hooks up on the draw bar at the rear of the tractor. These are Case 1070 Agri King tractors about 9 Ton each. Actually only one wheel drive cuz there is no diff lock on em. Dont let anybody tell ya that you need 4 wheel drive to push a 14 foot plow. But ya got four wheel so thats great. No one makes a loader to with stand a 14 or 12 foot box plow. Make a harness and bolt it to the front with a A frame to the rear. When I have the time and interest to upload some pics of mine I pop it on plowsite. By the way when I earlier posted on this thread I didnt mention we built our own pushplows. Back then when I built mine they were going for about 8 grand here, I built mine for 1500 bucks. :nod:tymusic

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We run 12 and 14 ft Box plows on our loaders and they've held up fine for 12 years. JD and Aloe make the best farm loaders. A 10-12k tractor will push a 14 ft angle plow and a 14k one will push a 14ft box if it's a backhoe model. You might have problems in really heavy snow but our 18k tractors just play with 14 ft pushers so you can add a little weight to make it work better, Check out my album if you want to see some pics.

11. augerandblade

JD Im gonna check out your album, will be looking for closeups on the loaders for stress cracks. Only going by my experience with a NH TS100 with a loader. My competitor that bought it after I was supposed to be done with snow removal in this lifetime ended up removing loader and making a plow harness. But that was only one tractor so I can be convinced otherwise:D

12. vet934

vet934 Junior Member
    from Idaho

I grew up pushing snow with a John deere 4450 (155 hp) and a 10' leon rear mounted plow. We typically get 4 feet of snow in a year, and if you needed to make a line out through the field or back to an out building, that was all that tractor could handle without raising up once in a while and cleaning it up on a second pass. It had a loader on the front with a big hay grapple, and fluid filled tires, so it was weighted up, but in that much snow I would still spin the tires. If you are doing parking lots with a foot or less, then I would say go for the 14'. but any deeper than that I would scale it back.

13. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

I got a JD 5603 and we run a Team Storm 14' that angles and it works great. No problems over here. Good luck