1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Plow To buy

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Antlerart06, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Well I'm looking to buy a 2015 super cab chassis with the 6.2 motor

Should I stick to a MPV or go with a Fisher expanding plow

I like the ultra mounts And I like trip edges I just don't know anything about Fisher Truck hitch Be honest never seen a Fisher around here
    Everything is Red or a Dog

I have 1 9.6 mpv w/wings
    1 Pro+ 8.5 w/wings
    1 9.2 Boss V
    My Skid plow 7.5 w/adjustable wings
    My Tractor 11' plow

So I have plenty of wing straight plows

Trying think if Im going plow with it or stick to my MPV on my 99 Dually

My Question is How are the hook ups on the Fisher?
    Any one have a photo of them on a newer ford see what they look like in the off season
  2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Go expanding!
  3. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

If you don't see the "yellow" plows in your area, do you have dealer support for them? If not, and parts aren't readily available, why even consider a Fisher?
  4. Antlerart06

Don't have no dealers close for any brands So dealer thing isn't my thing I'll fix it my self
    I fix a lot plows and most of them wasn't mine So all about the price I don't dealer shop
    Cheaper to buy online ship here cheaper then going to a dealer

Sure I have to install it myself But that's a good thing teaches a person about the plow

I know some guys are clueless when comes working on something. They need a dealer

I have wholesaler that carries all the parts I would ever need

I like to build a crossover Half western and half Fisher Just don't know if I have the time

Well have good one I getting ready take off to see about the 2015 Cab Cassis truck
  5. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Then if you're already familiar with Westerns, why not go Wideout instead of considering the Fisher XLS?
  6. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

He prefers trip edge I think he said...the Fisher mounts aren't as noticable as the Western when the recievers are attached to the Western. They mount fairly easily and quickly if its lined up right.
  7. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 Senior Member

I've been running fishers for years, really simple attaching and detaching. most of the time if you line your truck center and straight with the plow it will go right in without jumping out and checking to make sure it will go
  8. 05ram

05ram Member

If you like western mounting, but fisher trip edge the answer is easy. Buy the western MVP3. It uses the Ultramount and is trip edge.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  9. Antlerart06

Wideout isn't a trip edge plow that's why
  10. Antlerart06

I know MPV3 has a trip edge I already have one that's reason I like the trip edge
    I was thinking going to a expanding plow Fisher is only one has a trip edge

I bought the truck today More I think about it I may just stay with a Vplow w/wings
    Due to fact we get wet heavy snow falls and when it drifts here only thing to bust them is a V plow with very little effort Sure a straight plow can do it to a point you just hope the plow doesn't float up and get your self stuck
  11. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

V Plows all the way
  12. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Another vote for a V
  13. Antlerart06

The more I thought about it Going be MPV My employees even said same thing Straight plow is thing of the pass I know how to plow with a V The expanding plow I thought I wanted one Then I could say I have one but then again I might cuss it like I do my 8.6 pro + w/wings

Since I'm putting a Cannonball Bed on a V plow would help at the farm when roads drift out there
  14. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Love my fisher v.
  15. Antlerart06

Say does your truck have the new Tranny
    Auto and manual mode
  16. Buswell Forest

from NH

Yes. I use it on long steep down hills, because the tow haul will downshift every time to touch the brake- even if you are in 3rd gear @ 4k rpm. Hit the brake, you get 2nd gear and 5500 rpm.
    Otherwise, I use auto exclusively. With 3:73 gears and the e locker, I plow in high range 98% of the time, with the locker out. Only use the locker to back out of sticky situations. Also, turn the traction control OFF when plowing. Trust me here.
    Hill decent control is a joke.
    You will love the truck.

I am about this close to pulling the trigger on a leftover 13 F350 xlt diesel reg cab srw with an 8'6" ss fisher v on it...was a demo / lot truck. 1700 miles. Loaded up with every option an XLT can get, including the 11,500 gvw package.
    Out the door price is $43k.
  17. Antlerart06

Mine 14k gvw 4.30 gears

I figure manual mode would be like my 99 manual plow snow I hardly ever spins out now 02 F350 its auto it likes to spins a lot when plowing
    Since on manuals you don't have give a lot of gas get it to move

What does the traction control mode do when plowing
  18. Buswell Forest

from NH

Traction control will apply the brakes to stop wheel spin. Fine for the wife's commuter car, but worthless on a plow truck imo. You back up, drop the plow, apply the throttle on slippery surfaces, and go hardly nowhere because the brakes are on!
    For joe homeowner, no big deal, but for a guy trying to get the lot open for 7am opening, a real pain. Also, the torque management system on the engine will give me fits....same idea, back up, drop the plow, hit the gas hard on GOOD traction, expecting to move out smartly....engine acts like it stalled....like the throttle broke! Torque management will restrict the throttle in an effort to save your tires....
    I learned that situational awareness is key...traction control off, ease into the throttle, then add the gas when rolling. More than once I backed out into the highway to get a bite of snow bank, hit the throttle hard to get the F out of the way of oncoming traffic, and had the engine just refuse to respond. It just hates a big whack of throttle from a dead stop.
  19. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Have you looked at the boss DXT, it has a dual trip design. We have both boss and western blades straight and vee. The boss have given us less trouble for sure.
  20. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Have you ever used an XLS/Wideout/Blizzard????......

To the OP....There is no wrong choice here......My personal preference is an XLS.....A power plow of any color is a very productive pieces of equipment....

But you ask this type of question on here you will have guys fight to the death on which one is better.........Just go with which one will look "Cooliest" on your truck.....:drinkup: