1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What plow should I put on my truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NEUSWEDE, Mar 13, 2003.

1. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

:confused:
    I just bought a 1996 Chevy k1500 4x4 extra cab and was curious if anyone knows which plow is best for me, I am starting my own commercial Law care and plowing company and will use this truck with the plow I buy, so I am curious which one, I have looked at curtis and fisher. Is a V plow best for doing commercial. Just figured you guys would have the best imput
    Thanks
    Dylan

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Welcome to Plowsite.

A v-plow is out of the question on a 1500.With a 1/2 ton,you have to be careful not to overload the front end.A 7 1/2 ft blade is probably best.Brand isn't as important as dealer support.Make sure you find something that you can get parts and service for locally 24 hrs.

You might also take a look at snoway plows.They are lighter than most others,which is easier on your truck.You will be able to go a bit bigger as well,like an 8 or 8.5 ft blade.They also have down pressure,which adds to the scraping ability,especially when backdragging.

Timbren load boosters,as well as some other stuff,like a good trans cooler will help the truck last longer too.You may also have to do some charging system upgrades to keep it going all night.Look around,and use the search feature,you will find everything you need to know here.

3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Don't put anything over 7'6" on that bad boy. Ida go withteh fisher straight. Use the search, I'm sure there is some great info, this site is a wonderful resource. Welcome!

-John

4. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

Alot of people on here will offer the opinion that you should not plow with a half ton. I'm not saying they are wrong but I have a half ton that has been plowed with since 1997 and there have been no problems. They will tell you that a half ton will sag too much and be unsafe. This may or may not be true but rest assured in stock trim any truck will sag a bit with that much weight on it. a half ton will sag alot more than a 1 ton but both will sag. I run an 88 1500 with a western hardmount 7' that has been exteded to 8' works just fine.

Stay with an 8 footer or smaller straight blade. Crank up your torsion bars and seriosly consider timbrens or some type of suspention helper. Carry appropriate ballast not only for traction but also to put weight back on the rear axle so that the rear axle helps the front push therefore less strain on axles. Make regular checks and maintenance activities RELIGION, but this is for any truck. Add a trans cooler plowing/towing is hard on transmissions. Most importantly USE YOUR HEAD! and you will be just fine plowing with a half ton

5. SnoFoilFisher21

SnoFoilFisher21 Member

FISHER ALL THE WAY BABY!! best bet is a fisher mm2, 8 footer or less, streight blade and u shud do fine.

-Vinny-

6. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Got to stick that vote for Western in there.

Hey why not crank them torsion bars up and put a Blizzard 8611 on......:eek:

The Snoway suggestion might be the best bet.

7. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

How much does one cost

Curious how much one cost total with install and all that, just looking for a ball park figure I know it will vary. I planned on fisher just figured I would check, I have heard fisher offers best policy.
    Thanks Dylan

8. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Check out our web site www.indysnowplowers.com Midstate truck is one of our BIG sponsors and they sell the BOSS plows just like we use and purchased from them. Great discount to if you mention our web site. :D

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

NEUSWEDE, Fisher is made in Rockland. Diamond plows are made in Damariscotta. You've probably got several other dealers in the Portland area. For that truck, if you go with the Fisher or Diamond, you want to stick with 7.5'. I doubt any dealer would put anything bigger on it. Too much weight. Just a guess, but a new 7.5' Fisher will probably cost you about $4,000. Best way to find out would be to call a dealer and ask.

Western is more popular in the MidWest. I don't know if they're even sold around here.

If you're serious about this and would like, we could meet up sometime. I'm in Palermo, east of Augusta on Rte 3.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2003
  10. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

Fisher

your in Maine ...Fisher seems logical

11. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Mick is right, anything bigger than 7.5' would be too heavy. The best plow size would be 7.5' regular duty. Unless you are looking at SnoWay which is lighter, which mean you can carry bigger size plow, but I would not recommend it. The wider the plow is, the more snow your truck is pushing, stressing it. I know that some people do run SnoWay but I just don't feel that it is rigid for commercial plowing.

A 7.5' Fisher regular duty plow for $4000 installed sounds pretty high to me. Mick, I know that it is your guess, but just want to let you know that one guy that I know of got a new 8.5' Fisher V plow installed at that same price. I guess it depends on the location. Wait a minute, it did not make sense to me since your are so close to the Fisher factory. Probably just the local dealer itself. :confused:

12. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Dylan, if you have the 3925 front axle,Id go with a western 7.5 pro plow.They scrape great,are fast and are quick to mount up. If you have less than a 3925 then go with a sno way or lighter plow. I would get timbrens for it,they help a lot. I am suprised you bought a 1500,considering you knew you would be using it for plowing/landscape business. You may want to install an aux trans cooler if the truck doesnt have the KNP option aux cooler already

13. nben

nben Senior Member

NEUSWEDE,
    I just checked the Greater Portland Yellow Pages under snowplows and dealers for most manufacturers are listed. The two brands that come to mind that weren't listed were Snoway and Meyer. Coastal Metal Fab in Topsham I believe sells Snoway, and Rte 202 trailer sales in Buxton sells Meyer.

Make sure you do your research before you buy, especially if this is going to be your only truck. You will want to buy something that is going to be dependable and buy from a dealer that has parts and service when YOU are going to need it.

Good Luck:D

14. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Thanks for the help guys

I just wanted to say thanks to all for the help, I am new to all this and it helps to have guys like you to help out.
    Thanks again
    Dylan

15. Mick

from Maine

wxmn6, you're probably right about $4,000 being high for a 7.5'. I got mine about three years ago and I think it was either $3200 or $3800 then. Maybe the $3800 was what I paid for the sander. Knowing it goes up every year (about $100 for the year after I got mine), I just took a WAG (Wild A-- Guess), shot in the middle and told him to call a dealer which is what I think he should have done, anyway. Prices vary too much by region and even from dealer to dealer.

Still, $4,000 for an 8.5' V-plow doesn't sound too bad. NEUSWEDE, maybe you should trade that 1500 in for a 2500 or 3500 and put a V on it. Start out right. Then you could also put a sander/salt spreader on it if you decide to expand. While you can put a tailgate spreader on a 1500, it's not recommended.

16. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I am thinking of getting a 2500

I know I can sell the 1500 to my friend, when I bought it he was looking for the same thing and since you guys say a 2500 will be better, I will probably go for that, I would like a 3500 duallyor a ford F350 dually but unfortunatly I don't want to break the bank on just the Truck. What should I look for in a truck?? I guess I will begin my search again. Tell to call my friend and start searching auto trader
    Thanks again guys
    Dylan
    Might as well do it right the first time.
    :drinkup:

17. Mick

from Maine

You might check this out in the "Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum" just below this Forum. There was just posted an '83 (Chevy?) with an 8' plow and spreader in MA for $2500. I think that would be a good deal for someone to start with if the stuff is any good. I didn't check the specs, but if it has an 8' plow and a spreader, I'd guess it's a 3/4 ton. Plus you get the bonus of being able to spread salt. I think I've seen other decent setups on there if you wanted to do a little searching. I'd say generally you'll get a better deal from a fellow PlowSite member than going through a dealer.