1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Plow should I get?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by CTJ, Jan 21, 2008.

1. CTJ

CTJ Junior Member

What Plow should I get?

8-1/2 Pro Plus,
    8-1/2 MVP Plus
    or a Wide-Out

50% of what I’ll be plowing will be 100 to 150 foot single lane paved driveways with 3 car garages and large parking pads.

30% will be ¼ to 1 mile private gravel single lane driveway/roads.

The rest will be in-town 1 or 2 car paved driveways.

I have a 2001 F-250 diesel super cab 8 foot bed.

2. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

Well it really comes down to how much you have to spend. You could do it all with the straight blade, but it will take much longer. The V blade will help in the lots with the scoop positon to take care of windrows and other small amounts of snow. I have heard everyone talkin those wideouts up but I have yet to try one.

3. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

It sounds like you focus in on residents. That being the case I'm sure you need to consider back dragging as a main sticking point. ( Granted you did point out long drives which to probably do a bit of angle plowing forward ). So, I hate to post this on this column ... for back dragging it's go to be with down pressure - sno-way.

( I should say I use to own a sno-way but, went to western for their vee plow this year and it rocks. I do have a back drag blade, still not as good but, is doable ).

4. CTJ

CTJ Junior Member

I think I'm leaning towards the MVP Plus w/ a Back Drag Blade

5. CTJ

CTJ Junior Member

Add wings and back drag blade to the Pro Plus and you're getting close to the cost of a MVP. I started out thinking I would get a straight blade. Then I saw that for less than $500 more i could get a MVP Plus.

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I bought a MVP Plus this year. It is a great plow. I also have the wings for mine. The straight blade with wings does work well but if you plan to expand then I would spend the extra and get the V.

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

The MVP plus would be a good choice!