1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What plow should i get for this?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Jrplower24, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Jrplower24

Jrplower24 Junior Member

I own a 1994 GMC Jimmy. It's a 4x4 v6 4.3 liter. Its a nice truck.. I want to get a small cheap plow for it. Even If i have to fix it. I'm only 16 so I don't have money like a lot of people do. I want to start my own snow plow company but I need some help. Can any of you tell me or help me.. I would like to know if you know some one or where I may get one or what type i should get. Thanks
  2. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

You probably aren't going to like my opinion, but it's worth every penny you paid for it. :D

A 94 Jimmy is not the truck to start a plow business with, and nobody is going to hire a 16 year old kid for serious contracts with businesses. Sorry to rain on your parade, but you simply aren't old enough to be credible no matter how good your intentions and work ethic may be. Your best bet to get started is to subcontract for someone else or even just hire on as a driver using someone else's truck for a year or two and then decide if you want to start competing for contracts on your own.

As far as your question of what cheap plow, you should be able to find plenty of small Meyer plows on the used market as people move up to "manly" plows and bigger trucks. (Before someone jumps on me, Yes, I know Meyer also makes "manly" plows for professional use. Jr isn't going to buy one of those...). I wouldn't suggest anything bigger than 7 feet, and even that is pushing it. The used market is fully buyer-beware because most plows have been through Hell and back.
  3. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I have a couple opinions for you my friend... First off, good for you for wanting to do something to make money and not be a lard arse sitting at home mooching off mommy and daddy... Second, I don't think you should waste your time/money on a plow for that type vehicle... .also, this time of year isn't the greatest to buy plow equipment as the prices get higher since they are in DEMAND.... If I were you, I would save up this winter/ spring and sell your blazer... take the money that you have saved and go buy a decent used older 3/4 ton truck.... This way, you can get a SIMPLE 8ft hydraulic plow dirt cheap that if maintaned correctly will last FOREVER.... You could probably find a truck with a plow in pretty good useable shape for about 3-5 grand.... Third, with you being so young, make sure you cover yourself with insurance too.... You need to be covered in-case you slam into someones garage or house or car... I wish you luck and hope all works out for you.... oh and one more thing.....DON'T LOWBALL PEOPLE!!! It isn't nice to do and it lowers profits for the area... :cool:
  4. The Big Push

The Big Push Junior Member
    from Ontario

If you absolutely feel that you want to move snow this year, don't do it with that "truck" Maybe get a snowthrower and a couple of driveways. Ease you're way in. And get insurance. It;s just not wise not too. We all hace our humble beginnings. You need to put in your snow pants time, then work you're way up. If you go and buy a blade you're gonna work all winter to pay for it, not to mention all the fuel and coffee it takes to be a pusher. that's alot of sleepless nights for no reason.