1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what plow should i buy

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by show-n-go, Feb 5, 2009.

1. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

a little history, i have been plowing for about 5 years.

right now i have an 01 gmc 3500 cab & chassis with a western 8 1/2 pro on it... im selling this truck and im going to put a plow on my excursion. couple friends have Snow Dogg
    i love the looks of them and the price is right too, i found a new western 8ft ultra mount pro that i can buy for the same money. which one is the more reliable plow for big parking lots and drives? i tried to find good reviews on these but im not that happy with what i've found, half of the people say snow dogg are good for looks only, my western is old and rusty but works great still... HELP

2. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Junior Member
    from Midwest

1. What are you plowing? Driveways, residential streets, small lots, large lots?
    2. Why downgrade from a decent 1 ton truck to an SUV?

3. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

residential streets and large and small lot's. i am looking at the Western 8ft pro or the SD hd 8ft

i just bought the truck and with the flat bed and gates on it, it's to big for the smaller lot's and things that i do, plus i have no use for the truck in the summer, i bought it to sell. i already own the excusion and only use it for boat towing in the summer so i figured i could make money with it during the winter.

4. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Junior Member
    from Midwest

How is the Excursion any smaller than the truck?

You'll want a v-plow for larger lots.

5. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

is the Snow Dogg as reliable as the Western? i don't know anthing about the SD other than it's made by buyers. there is only one place around me that stocks them and they haven't had them very long. i'd love to have a vplow but i dont want to tie that much money up in something just yet, i only have 12 accounts of my own. of the places locally that sell plows they are very proud of them, i have found some great deals on the net but i want to know what im getting before i buy

6. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

well i just say this according to what u say the western has been great to you and u can buy one for the same money get the one that u know works rather then the one that maybe works i havent run snow dog or westerns just fishers and western is owned buy fishers parent company if western is built anything like a fisher it'll last u along time so get the one that works youll be happy u did later