1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Plow Should I Buy?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jbell36, Feb 21, 2008.

1. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

i am looking to buy a brand new blade for a F-250 heavy duty 3/4 ton...i have never plowed before but i want to mainly do residential driveways and small commercial accounts...need something that is quality...considering that V blades are more expensive and used for more of a bigger account i would like to stay with a straight blade? is that smart? any suggestions would help, kind of want to stay under $4000.00...(backdragging with the edge on the backside of the blade is definitly something i want)

- What brands? definitly a fan of BOSS

your smart to get a backdrag edge, Just remember if a plow your lookin at dosent have one you could always buy one, but then again there is a diference in a backdrag edge and a plow with down pressure, I dont have a recomendation as Ive used neither of these systems. Also Id recomend some wings if you get a 7.6 blade or just look for an 8.
  3. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

No doubt, an 8' super duty Boss. :cool:
  4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Ditto, Boss buddy. Cant beat 'em!wesport
  5. payton

payton Senior Member

anything with out a chian..
  6. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

"What plow should I buy" That's like asking what brand underwear should I buy. It's all brand preference. Meyer
  7. lawnsrusinc.

lawnsrusinc. Senior Member

Not a snoway !! i prefer blizzard we have 5 of them and most money that i have put into fixing one plow was $60.00
    Hi snoway reps
  8. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

JMO... i would go with the snoway with the down pressure especially if your doing driveways and if it's your own personal truck the snoway hooks up and disconnects within seconds... by far the quickest and easiest in the industry i don't know why any one would go with a chain lift especially when your back dragging...
  9. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Blizzard speedwing for what you want to do.
  10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Go with the Sno-Way. Down pressure is the best.
    What dealers are nearest you? Dealer service should be a consideration.
  11. lawnsrusinc.

lawnsrusinc. Senior Member

Yea consider dealer service and overall plow structure.
  12. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Boss or Western seem to be the main plows around Milwaukee. I have both, but like the Boss straight blades the best. No chain, simple to work on. Then again, we in house fix our plows. Go with which ever has the best dealer support in your area.
  13. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

dealer service is a key.
    we sell lots of plows due to the fact we stride and take pride in or service
  14. Enviouslawns

Enviouslawns Senior Member

8ft boss all the way i bought one this year on the same truck it works great with no problems...
  15. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

16. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Definitly get a Fisher X Blade. No need for an additional back drag edge. I just dont know if you can find parts and service in your area. Fisher is clearly the Cadillac of plows though....
  17. Bibbo

Bibbo Senior Member

i have to agre here gotta love them fisher's :D
  18. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I've done only driveways for 22 years, I just got a V plow... I will never go back to a strait bladepayup Faster, better job.
  19. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

thanks for all the information...after checking for dealer locations i've found that all of the plows are within 45 minutes of my location (boss being the closest)...is sno-way the only one that offers down pressure? or do all plows have it? i'm sure a pump with down pressure would be more expensive so if i could get by with a back drag edge i'd rather do that...differences in 7.5 and 8 ft. blades would be helpful, i don't know which way to go...i'm leaning towards boss, any suggestions? $how much do they run$...also, this all includes the blade, pump, and lights right?
  20. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

snoway is the only plow on the market that offers down pressure! :nod: