1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what plow should I buy for 05 F-350?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Smitty58, May 24, 2005.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I bought a new F-350 4x4 V-10 and I'm already thinking snow. My question is what plow to put on it? Anyone have one of these ,or have some advice? Also do you have ballpark prices of new plows?
    thanks

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Are you plowing commercial or residential?

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I hope he's talking commercial just based on the forum.

Why does everyone ask this question without searching the forum? It has been asked and answered a hundred times.

Look in your area and find who has dealer support near you- that's the biggest thing you will need. Price, features, size, all mean nothing when the plow needs parts in a storm,(even in july for that matter) and the nearest dealer is an hour+ away.

You'll get promoters of all makes chiming in recomending their chioice of blade- do the above THEN search the boards for info on the companies near you.

4. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

Will be commercial as well as residential drives.

justme- why do you assume I didn't search first, I did btw. In my area is all the sponsered manufactorers ,but I would like some opinions of those who use the plows not from those who sell them.

5. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Congrats on your new ride Smitty58! How's about this for suggestions...

1) Any of the sponsors at the top of this page have plows that work great. All of their pro or commercial grade plows would be fine...

2) Buy the right size for the truck. Too small (especially with a dually) and you won't plow a path wide enough to keep snow from rolling under your wheels and getting stuck. Too heavy for your front GAWR (or the manufacturers recommendations) and you'll break things and/or void the truck warranty.

3) Buy the right size for the job. If it's too wide you'll tear things up and hit things. Lots of us who do driveways and small/medium lots run 7 1/2 and 8 footers and make good money with them (but not on duallies if that's what you have you'll need a wider blade - see # 2)... If you get lots of drifts (and can fit in your accounts) a V might be nice to have...

4) Service and parts are key. Good plows are useless if they break (and they all break sometimes) and the only local dealers have lousy hours or long waits for service.

5) Having a local DISTRIBUTOR for your make is a nice thing. Having lots of service parts in stock is great - Nothing is worse than having something break at the beginning of a storm and having to sit out the event waiting for the part to be UPS'ed in... at the same time UPS is sitting because of the snow!

IMHO nothing beats a Western pro ultramount but that's just our preference based upon our experience. They have great ground clearance with the plow off and the extensions removed, the ultramount system doesn't require any electronics or hydraulics to MOUNT or DISMOUNT the plow, and they've been solid and reliable. That's just my opinion and I would not have any problems using a Boss, Fisher, Meyer or a Blizzard either cause they are good plows with advantages of their own.

:drinkup:

6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

What type of commercial? V's and blizzards can shave time depending on your accounts. The types of accounts you do dictates what the best plow for you is. I prefer western and fisher v's over boss's. Blizzards are something to look at too. Do you have a reg cab ext cab or what, dually or SRW??? What is your FAWR???

I would look at fisher or western or blizzard or possibly boss if you are thinking a straight blade.

7. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i would recommend a 8' western pro plus. this plow is very reliable built by the largest manufacturer i own a 8' pro plow from Western its on my 97 Chevy 2500 and i love it not a single problem and i feel the ultra Mount is one of the best setups around you could go with a v plow if you want but there is more moving parts that could brake or wear out.
    8'pro plus probably 3500 installed
    8 1/2' vplow 4300 installed

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Commercial, as in the forum, means you plow for money- for a job/living- it can be commercial property or residential properties. Non commercial (the other forum) means you are plowing your own driveway/parking lot and maybe a friend/relative/neighbor.

I assumed you didn't do a search because I have yet to see any different information given to anyone who poses this question. It's not like someone asks this and everyone recomends Fisher, then the next guy asks and everyone recomends Blizzard based on his truck, or where he lives.

Everyone who has a love for a given make/type of blade will tell you, same goes for those with bad experiances- but (time to rip off Smoky the bear) Only you can decide which is right for you.
    The differences will be attributed to are you plainning on mainly plowing commercial lots or drives. Some people will argue, but in general a V plow and Blizzard are much more useful in commercial use than driveway use (some would say useless in drives). Some will say Smaller blade (7'6") while most will agree with the industry and say 8' for a full size truck- especially if you are going to plaw any commercial (you need the blade to clear the snow from in front of your wheels at full angle- 7'6" usually will not do it). If you have a DRW truck you should be ina 9' straight blade.

They all work, they all plow snow, and they all mount to the truck differently. Decide if you want an edge trip or a blade trip (normally personal preference and a lot of opinions here on each) then look at the mounting systems for each in that design and decide which you like best personally.

To me they are all the same- what's 30 seconds in life to mount a blade. (yeah it adds up, but you know I think I can miss 4 minutes of my life over my season) Every "quick mount' blade goes on relativly easy and comes off relativly easy- MM1, MM2, Unimount, whatever. They all CAN be mounted in under 30seconds IF things go as they should.

I would recomend looking in the blade specific forums and the archives for issues pertaining to each brand (like premature rusting/paint failure, hydraulics issues, wings freezing, pivot weakness, etc).

There are guidelines from FORD and each blade brand about what can be put on that truck- based on the GVWR. Some blades may excede the front wheel/axle loading and ballast might help.

BTW Sorry to come across a a D!ck.

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Get the best plow you can afford.
    I would recommend at a minn a 8ft blade. Then a V-plow or a blizzard. :nod:

10. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

justme- sounds like you have a bunch of experience and knowledge about plowing. Thanks for the info. ,I appreciate it. I probably came on a little strong so I'm sorry as well. I do appreciate all the information everyone has shared. I looked at the sites for different plow and I like the looks of the Fisher stainless as well as the Western plows. Just trying to get the best for my truck without breaking the bank. btw, my truck is a single wheel so I guess an 8 ft would be good ,correct?

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have straight plows, one V plow and one plow with sides I put on it. The fastest by far is the one with the sides. It has it draw backs as you have to get out to remove the sides and they are 70lbs each which is heavy for the truck. The V blade is great, you can scoop if you need to or straight blade. We have never used the V position to break through any snow banks. I would suggest at least a 8.5' and maybe even a 9'. If you are plowing for yourself then time is money and you can do more work in the same amount of time with a larger plow. The weight difference is minimal. The Blizzard plow would also be something to consider. A friend of mine bought one new for last winter and it was really fast moving snow and scraped better then most plows I have seen.

12. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

yes a 8 footer would be fine you could go to a 8.5 if you want i would say it would be better if you have a long box extended cab but if you are doing any residential drives that are one car wide like the horse shoe drives it will be harder to stop from tearing the grass when you are in a hurry.

13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Yeah, 8 foot. (I like the SS Fisher's myself) I agree with Karl's statement completely- 8.5 for an xtra cab/LB (which are very tough for driveways) Also, remember most driveways are only 8.5 feet wide. (at least here)

There are a few Vplow guys around me but I don't see any of them plowing driveways with them- they all seem to use them on commercial lots. The Scoop ability is handy, don't get me wrong, but for 95% of the driveways it's not useable. (remember you have to have someplace to put the snow- and alot of driveways seriously limit your options in that respect.) I can also imagine a lot of grass being torn up really quickly if you're not careful in scoop mode. For some reason alot of guys on this site recomend Vplows for Drive's- I guess drive's are shaped differently in their areas then in the Northeast.

Wings are a touchy item too. Alot of guys seem to like them- but then again there have been a fair amount of guys reporting trouble with them folding back very easy too. They add alot of weight IMO and have marginal use. (A Western 8' with wings weighs about the same as a Blizzard 810 or a 9' straight.) Can be useful in some places. Time IS money, but bill accordingly to what it will take you, don't bill cheaply then abuse the equipment to get it done and make money. You wouldn't put a 14' Hiniker on an F250 to plow a parking lot that should have 3 trucks working on it so you can under bid for the account. If you plow commercially you should charge enough to plow with an 8 or 8.5 (max) blade and plow smart. If you over work the truck (any truck) it won't last.
    *Tip- the plow manufacturer's size blades for the trucks they way they do to reflect the amount of stress on the frame and truck componants plowing will generate-notice no company lists a 10 footer for a 1 ton pickup.

If you're going to do both commercial and drives a Blizzard or something with wings could be a viable option (to add width for the larger lots) and wings can be added to any straight blade. Remember too any blade will scrape well with an extra couple hundred pounds added to it. The trick is a light blade with a good design for scraping.

I'm not trying to knock anyone else's opinion or any brand of equipment, this is my opinion based on experiance and thought process. You (not just you, but everyone) need to decide if the negative points of a particular setup out weigh the positives, or vice versa, and what negatives you are willing to accept for the positives you want. (weight, stresses on truck based on extra length, trip mechanism versus wings being removable, scoop, more cleaning width, complicated systems, etc.) Does it make sense to have a heavy blade wearing on the front end and requiring springs/boosters when you only need or can take advantage of the scoop/hydraulic wings/an extra foot of width on 1 account out of 30? How about for 1/4 of your accounts? What about the extra foot being a limiting factor in being able to even plow certain places (blade too wide for driveway)?
    Don't break the bank- buy off season. Start looking now and you'll find the End of season sale, or the Summer clearance sale, or even the pre season sale from the local dealer the best price for any blade. (they all have off season inventory to move). We have some dealer's that are members/supporter's of this site (dealer forum) but do some research on the boards before deciding to do business with them just like any company.

Incidently there is a brand of plow that offers a plastic flexible moldboard which can be adjusted from straight blade to curled highway blade. I can't remember the company, but I believe they are out of Canada- I know someone on this board has one (can't remember who either) They also might be a viable option for a combination of drives and lots. Anyone know the company I mean?

14. ratlover

from IL

Some random rambling thoughts.

You can always use a V or a blizzard like a straight, you can use a staright like a blizzard or a V. If you have a long wheel base(ext or crew cab) you have already partialy screwed yourself for drives and regardless you need a blade that will cover your rear tires while turning. That means a bigger blade. Wings dont weigh that much and will not bring you to the weight of a blizzard and a blizzard dosnt weigh what a 9'er weighs. For a optimum drive way rig a pull plow is very usefull in most cases. A V in scoop position wont cary as much snow as a blizzard in scoop. A v in scoop is also narrower than a blizzard in scoop. This can be good and bad, some times I wish I could scoop more snow, sometimes I like being able to scoop between cars. It depends on your accounts though as to how much savings you will see by spending the $$$ to increase productivity. A minute saved is another minute you could be getting paid to plow elsewere. Like I said If I were doing a bunch of drives and that was about it I would run my truck with a pull plow and probably a 8.5 V or maybe the 9.5 that I am running if my accounts fit it. FOr what I do I shoulda probably got a blizzard

15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

If you are looking at commercial exclusively down the road and getting out of residential, buy a Blizzard. If you are going to stick with a lot of residential, Blizzard might not make the most sense, then.

We have 1 Blizzard, finally got it on the road in January due to some issues regarding the truck, by next season we will have at least 3. The price is higher, the cost is lower. Productivity is unequalled (for commercial).

16. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

More than 1 person said buy a Blizzard. What makes a Blizzard better? and How much have you guys that have them ,paid for yours?

17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Very heavy duty construction.

On commercial lots a v-plow is approximately 50% more efficient (faster) than a straight blade. My biggest problem with a v-blade is they don't clean\scraper very well.

A Blizzard will cut anywhere from 30%-50% off that time using a v-plow. This is mainly due to being able to angle the leading wing forward so you can use most of your blade for windrowing instead of using less and less to prevent runoff\spillage\trails. A Blizzard scrapes better than any plow I have seen, also.

We are doing our jobs faster for the same amount of money that we bid them for using a straight blade. Our dollars\hour are up, we are able to service more customers with that one truck, making more money again with the same truck as a v-plow or straight blade and only one operator.

18. ratlover

from IL

I have never used a blizzard. Wishing I woulda tried one out though instead of my 9.5' V. I do mostly larger comercial and think it would really help out there for the ability to take more of a bite and I bet one windrows just a tad betterthan a V(no center hinge to slow the snows roll) There are very few instances were I want to be able to "scoop" more snow than what my V can but I can remeber a few times that woulda helped. I dont have any preoblem with how my v scapes though. Cleans up well IMO but I can compare it to a blizzard since I dont have one. We also use salt pre and post so it makes getting bare pavement easy. Were I can see a V having a advantage is its more narrow "scooping" since you could fit between cars and obstacles easier. This also means you cant cary as much snow though.

19. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I would buy a Monroe 12' municipal plow. See if that v10 can push that ****

20. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

My money says yes it can. :eek: :cool: