1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what plow setups for 2002 kenworth t300

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mugurpe, Feb 4, 2015.

1. mugurpe

mugurpe Junior Member

Hi, I own a trucking company and I'd like to be able to plow my own yard, i won't be going out in a for hire capacity, just plowing my own rented yard. I don't know much at all about plowing, but the yard is relatively flat and simple, and nobody around.

The truck I'd be using is a 2002 kenworth t300 single axle tractor, 33K gvw. automatic tranny, cat 3126 250HP.

I know I'll have to throw some weight on the back which is fine as I have a forklift and ratchet straps and I'm sure I can find some heavy piece of trash to throw on there. How much weight do you think i'll need to make it manageable?

I intend to shop on craigslist for a cheap plow next off season but don't know what's compatible and what's not. I don't think I have too many requirements for the plow, doesn't need to be huge or small, can't imagine I'd need a lot of features.

I would like to be able to pick and drop it without too much trouble so it's not hard to put the tractor back under a trailer and use it. I don't think leaving the plow frame on would hinder me much for doing our other work.

Again, I won't be plowing roads or for any customers, just tidying up my own paved lot, maybe swinging by my own house if it gets real bad.

Thanks for the help.

2. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

I'd get one for a pickup IMO unless your yard is real big.

3. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

For that size truck you want a minimum of a 10 foot blade. Meyer, Western, Boss all make 10 foot blades for trucks like yours. You can also look into plows from Monroe, and Tenco who make bigger heavier duty plows for bigger trucks, but I think that's going to be an overkill for what you want.

As for weight for the back. You will definitely want some ballast, but the tricky part is because it's a tractor, you don't want to mess up the fifth wheel. You may want to make a platform that will give you an area to put weight and protect the fifth wheel. A company I used to work used a tendem axle tractor for snow removal. They baught the front portion of an old flat bed trailer and used that as a flat bed for the truck. The kingpin locked into the fifth wheel, and then they made 2 brackets at the back end that dropped down to the frame to hold it from moving.

4. mugurpe

mugurpe Junior Member

Yard's not that huge, my question specifically pertains to how these things hook onto the truck. Can any plow frame hook onto my truck? Are the plow frames split up by size or by year or make? How can I tell if something I find on craigslist is the right piece of equipment? Then, once I've got a plow frame, will that work with any plow? Basically, how do I tell which equipment will work at all? are there adapter kits? These questions probably seem stupid to someone who knows anything about this stuff.

for example, here's some cheap larger plows from craigslist:
    http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/hvo/4872511937.html
    http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/hvo/4842003741.html

what would I need to hook these up and control them? Are angled type plows not the right thing for what I'm plowing? would a complete setup from a pickup be able to bolt on?

For hooking to the 5th wheel I was figuring I'd buy a kingpin and weld it to a plate or something heavy and go from there. I've seen a local company that has kingpins welded to the bottoms of their sanders and use their semis for plowing.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Unless you plan on plowing nascar style those are "road" plows.
    For your trk you would either have to contact a trk equipment dealer for your mount. Chances are your not just Gunna find anything. Western makes a universal mount kit for the larger trks, might be worth looking into

6. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

7. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Mugurpe, The style plows you are showing are fixed angle plows for doing roads. They are designed more for plowing at higher speeds such as on an interstate highway or used for rolling snow back to widen a road.

Your truck is similar to the trucks used by municipal road depts. You want something like a Meyers Road Pro 36, A Western Heavyweight, Fisher MC series. These plows are designed to be used on the truck that you have.

If you go with a smaller lighter weight plow like one for a pickup, the plow will be to small and light for the truck. It would be like hooking a lowbed to your tractor and trying to move a d-6 or d-8. I wont say that you wont find a plow the size you need used, but they are usually attached to a truck and being sold together as a unit.

Also the manufacturers of these plows have the mounts that you need to fit your truck. Chances are if you buy one from C-list you can make it fit your truck, BUT you will have to do modifications unless it came off a truck the same as yours. These plows are electric over hydraulic, so the only thing you need to run into the cab are some wires to the control switch.

8. mugurpe

mugurpe Junior Member

geer hed:
    thanks for the info, very informative, now I can start figuring it out. thanks again.

9. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Your welcome. Glad to help.