1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what plow is the best??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by linguini, Oct 18, 2003.

1. linguini

linguini Junior Member
    from vermont

i am considering putting a plow on my 1992 ford f150 i have looked at different plows...fischer, snoway and curtis? i will be plowing just my own driveway and perhaps another two or so?? my question is what plow would serve me best?? my truck is an automatic 6cylinder will that have an effect?? i am new to all this and welcome your input....ty:help:

2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

You need something light for the frontend of that truck to be able to handle it. What snowplow dealers do you have locally to you? I just noticed you didnt say if the truck in question is 4wd or 2wd. If its 2wd, you can forget it, it will never work. If its 4wd, you can put a plow on it, a light duty plow. Fisher has a few lightweight plows on the market, as does Western also. I have no experience with Curtis, so I cant help you out there. I know SnoWay plows are light also, the plastic see-through kind, so that is an option as well. Do you have a SnoWay dealer close by? Welcome to PlowSite by the way! Post back and let us know which snowplow dealers you have locally, and if your truck is infact 4wd. Mike :waving:

3. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

you'll probaly want to stay away from the curtis plows although they are good plows they are rather heavy. snowway makes some nice lightweight plows.

4. linguini

linguini Junior Member
    from vermont

yes my truck is 4wd, it has a front weight of 3800#

5. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

if i were you i would probaly go with a 7'5" fisher ld or one of the 7'5" snowways.

6. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

I used meyers 7.5's on all of the older fords that I had, and had great luck with them. Just beef up the springs some, and you should be fine.

Rick

7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

If you with an electro/ hydro unit, plan on upgrading your alternator. Ford used some really low output units back then.
    Dino

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Go light,like a Snoway.You have a TTB,or twin traction beam front end,and they don't like plows.Adding a set of Timbrens,and possibly upgrading the front springs will help it carry the weight.Keep a close eye on the axle beams for cracks.

9. uglytruk

uglytruk Member

What about wear and tear on my transfer case

This is my first post to this site. I'm real wet behind the ears, as I've only owned a pick-up truck for a little over a year. But I've got the bug, and I've got some questions about my second aquisition, an '83 Chev. half ton short box. I paid $125 for this beauty, and have installed a Taiwan floor, cab supprt and rocker on the drivers side. The passenger side is also ripe, but at least it's not Fred Flinstone, yet! Mileage shows 77k, probably 177, but I'm not convinced. I'll be installing (having istalled) a 7.5 foot SnowWayWesternFisherelechydraulicenginemountedpump brandnew or used. I havn't decided if I should spend $3500+ on a running parts truck. I am also looking to buy a Dodge Cummins Club Cab or '88+Chev. +cab long box, so the plow will stay in the family, new mount req'd. Whew! My concern is the transfer case. That chain is giving me nightmares. How do I check it for wear? I can get the model # of the tc if there were two models in '83. I will be plowing three or four 1000 sq ft driveways of City apt. buildings that my wife and I own. I promise to be gentle on our first date. :confused: : Andrew Golt, Way uppa' New York

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

Welcome to Plowsite.

Your transfer case will be a NP208.It was the only model used on your half ton.

You can check the chain for wear by engaging 4WD with the hub unlocked,and the truck in park.Try turning the front driveshaft.If there is a large amount of play and the shaft turns a lot before stopping,then the chain may be bad.

I'd find a cheap used plow setup for it,preferrably a belt driven hydraulic setup.If you buy a new plow,it will pretty much have to be electric,and you may have to spend some more $$$ to transfer it over to the new truck.Some of the mount and wiring kits can run over a $1000.00 to transfer a plow,plus all the labour.That's truck has a solid front axle,so you can run pretty much any 7.5-8 ft plow on it.

If your looking at a newer truck,I'd go with the Dodge Cummins.You'll love it.Take your time and shop around to find a nice one.

11. uglytruk

uglytruk Member

That's what i'll be doing as soon as I go outside... Thank you. As far as the Cummins, Rust free is the Key, but I don't want a nice one. Lotsa' scratches and dents so that I don't feel bad when I bash it! Andrew:salute: