1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What plow is best

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Papi, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Papi

Papi Junior Member

Hey all- I'm new to this forum and plowing. I have a 2001 HD 2500 with the plow package. I've been told by local dealers that the Western poly pro 7.5 ' plow would be best for this truck. I will only be plowing my own and a few neighbours. Anyone have any advice to give?

thx-Papi

2. k&j Landscaping

k&j Landscaping Senior Member

I have that plow and set up on my truck. Used last winter and highly recommend. Did not have one problem plowing about 20 driveways. Western makes a good product. Adjust your t-bars a little for winter work. Really helps with the plow weight. I crank my t-bars back down in the spring. I like the poly for limited blade maintenance. The ultramount system is awesome. Very easy and the whole assembly comes off for a clean truck when not plowing.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  3. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

That would be a great setup for your truck and for what you need to do. You could go bigger but not necessary.

4. Papi

Papi Junior Member

Thanks for the help. My mind is made. Western it is.

5. Papi

Papi Junior Member

Hey - K&J - "T" bars are???? Told you I was new to this:)

6. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

That plow is perfect for what you want to do, and If you wany to upgrade in the future that truck can handle a much bigger blade

7. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

and like everyone with a chevy, look into beefing up the front end. Look for a product called "Timbrens" (thay advertise on this site) and crank up your torsion bars

8. Papi

Papi Junior Member

CHCAV- beef up the front even with the plow package?

9. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Most silverado's tend to sag quite a bit with the weight of a plow. ALthough with a 7.5 poly you may be ok. The Timbrens are just nice because they ensure that your suspension wont bottom out if you hit a bump in the road while traveling with the plow

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yes, couple turns on the T barts and a set of timbrens. You should think about a 8 foot blade for that truck. It would not cost much and would help keep your mirrors out of the bushes

11. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

and it helps to have a bigger blade if you do a lot of turning with the plow angled. Less snow will fall back behind that balde and up under the wheels

12. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Torsion bars. There is a adjustment under the truck to raise the front a little. Timbrens would also help.

13. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I have an 8' western steel ultramount on my "02 HD. Now that i do roads i wish i went bigger but im happy with it. I would reccomend the 8' over the 7.5 because as the guys said before, you will have a wider push when angled. I also turned the bars approx. 4 turns for better weight handling. The adjustment for this is a bolt pointing upwards on a frame crossmember underneath the front seats. There will be one on each side of the truck. good luck!