1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What plow is best?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by bydptrsn, Sep 9, 2013.

1. bydptrsn

bydptrsn Junior Member
    from Omaha

I have a dodge ram 1500 regular cab slt with the 4.7 v8. I just purchased a unimount western 7.5 poly it seems really light I had an opportunity to get the snowdogg md75 for 3700 dollars but an emergency came up and I couldn't afford the snowdogg. I got the western for 1000 when I upgrade in a few years would the snowdogg be a good choice? What plows do you recommend?

2. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

western parts are a dime a dozen better built I have a friend that has 1 it's been to the dealer several times I told him to sell it or trade it in you need a reliability plow

3. bydptrsn

bydptrsn Junior Member
    from Omaha

Which plow does he have sorry my brain is fried

4. rjigto4oje

He has the snow dogg

5. bydptrsn

bydptrsn Junior Member
    from Omaha

The only part I don't know is if that's one bad plow out of 1000 or if there are just a bunch of bad plows

6. rjigto4oje

In 14 years of plowing I have only have had to replace a few minor things and all the other guys I plow with have western and they also have had minor issue's hes everbody pops hoses solenoids go put time to time.1 motor 1 pump in 14 years with the same plow that's speaks for itself but each person has there own preference mines western

7. bydptrsn

bydptrsn Junior Member
    from Omaha

I've operated western and boss never had snowdogg that's why I almost jumped on that because I thought maybe its worth a shot but thank you for the input

8. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

I have exactly the combination your looking at. 1500 Regular cab /4.7 and the MD75. I added timbrens when I put the plow on and plan on a shock upgrade all the way around but as is the combo does a great job. The plow has the added back drag blade too.

I plow 6-10 driveways and a friends big ass grass lot. Does a fine job for me... Plow is three years old.
    I have a pic here.

gb

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  9. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

I recommend the Hiniker straight 8, but just about any Hiniker will get the job doneThumbs Up

10. bydptrsn

bydptrsn Junior Member
    from Omaha

Actually I picked up a western 7.5 poly unimount for $1000 sorry guys but keep the thread going I'd like more opinions for future reference. And how do those hiniker last I've heard rust horror stories and weight problems.

11. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

I haven't an issues with the Hiniker straight 8 & will be purchasing additional Hiniker plows & Dodge trucks shortly. Thumbs Up

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  12. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I think you paid to much for a unimount plow I seen a ultra mount plow 7.5 sell for 1,000

I ran western for years and 1 boss vplow with minor issue with western cant say much on the boss
    Over the years I always thought a full trip is thing to have Boy was I wrong after my MVP trip edge Trip edge is only thing to have. I wont buy full trip plows again.