1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What plow, I need some help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by shelpster, Dec 1, 2008.

1. shelpster

shelpster Junior Member

Hello men, I am new here and would like some help. I have a Chevy 2500HD with the duramax, I am working on a deal to get a plow for it. Now I can get a meyers 7 and 1/2 foot plow with the E47 pump. I have never been a meyers fan, is this something I should consider? I wish it was a western. Any input would be great

Shelpster

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You should get a 7.5' or 8' Fisher or Boss JMO. I don't know many people that have Meyers but they all hate them.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The minimum size plow you should install on your truck is a 8 foot blade.

What truck do you have? Crew cab short bed?

4. shelpster

shelpster Junior Member

Reg Cab, 8' Box

5. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi
    My recommendation for your truck would be a Meyer MDII/ Plus with a C-8 or 8' Diamond Edge, Saber lights E57 or E60 pump. JMHO

This is the reason why
    If you want versatility and thinking about the future applications, you can move this plow onto your next truck with the least amount of costs, I'd go with a MEYER MDII/ Plus system, least expensive upcharge for converting, typically $500 or less, Fisher and Western typically run you $800-$1300 unless the trucks frame is the same .

I find with most plows they are only as good as you take care of them, they all have their strong points and weak points,

If you were closer I'd try to sell you one like this, lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

good Luck in your search

Jay

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  6. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

I would say to try to find a 8' you will thank yourself later. You have the truck to push it.

7. Buckhunter

Buckhunter Member

Yeah you need at least an 8' plow for a 2500. A 7'6" plow when angled won't clear the wheel base of the truck.

8. woody79

woody79 Junior Member

I would go with a Western 8'. Have you given it any thought on what type of mount? I went with the Western Pro Ultramount. I needed something I could get on and off quick. Also it is a chain lift system, so if something breaks you can hike up the chain to get the plow off the ground and back to the shop. Boss and Hiniker I dont think you can do that. Plus the Western can be converted to newer trucks.

9. mmtwin

mmtwin Member

You should go with atleast an 8' blade. I wish I had went with a 9' on mine.

10. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Go with at least the 8'er I have 9'ers on mine. They handle them just fine.

11. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

meyers makes a great plow western also has a nice ultra mount set up and of course there is curtis i got 15 years out my e47 before a rebuild was done

12. It really depends what your gonna be doing with it. if your just plowing your own drive, you could get away with a 7.5 foot meyers consumer model but any more than one or two drives, i would go with an 8 ft commercial western or fisher. i like fisher's edge design and mount system. i can hook up in less than 30 seconds. you will pay a little more but worth it in a long run. it would be a shame to but a hunk of junk on truck with much more capabilities. just some thought!!