1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Plow Hydraulic Oil for really cold temps?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by CP Paul, Dec 20, 2009.

1. CP Paul

CP Paul Member

I just changed my hydraulic fluid because my plow (Meyers E-47) froze up on me. Must have had some water in the system from condensation and with disconnecting and reconnecting. (and ya when I changed it, it was a bit milky from water) So changed it with the only stuff available that afternoon here in town…cuz it was frozen; had to plow next day.

So now I need to know what is the best stuff you guys use for at least –30C/-22F without wind chill? Lower temps would be even better for coldest capital in the world!

My plow is so slow now it is almost useless. It does get a little bit better with use.

What do the pro’s say in the super cold areas?

:bluebounc tymusic
  2. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I would go with the Meyer plow fluid. But first I would find out for sure how the water got in there in first place. I had the same problem and one of my angle cylinders was pitted and I had a very slight leak at one of the connections. It just let out a little bubble once in a while. If the fluid can get out, the water can get in. Now all that being considered, I live in Michigan and not Ottawa and I would assume it may be alot colder there. Good Luck