1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Plow For Toyota Tacoma?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chris-R, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I'm buying a 2009 Toyota Tacoma. It will only be used for plowing some driveways. Mostly, it will be used as a daily driver. Considering the light-duty use, can anyone recommend a snowplow for it? Thanks for your help.

2. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

sno-way makes a nice plow. get the one with down pressue

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

4. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

I just had a meyer drive pro put on my 06 access cab.

There's good and bad---haven't actually plowed with one yet--first impressions though:

GOOD POINTS:

lightweight-- don't really need any ballast-- raise the plow and the rear end of the truck comes up about 1/2". I might put 100lbs in but I doubt it.

lift and angles very fast...not much time to go from left to right or full up position

larger angle cylinders than a homesteader (1 1/2" I think)

one lever to engage/dis-engage he plow pins

one electrical plug

frame seems heavy duty enough

lights seem great---low enough they don't stick over the hood--bright as can be!

has plow shoes

good warranty

should scrape OK with the attack angle and steel cutting edge

BAD POINTS:

no safety (travel) chains

overall fit seems a little sloppy

plow frame rides very close to ground (not a lot of clearance)

only one chain for lift (I'm used to fishers with the triangle and 2 chains)

crappy jackstand design--really poor securing pin setup--they put zero effort in this part--its like a toy and frankly embarrassing if I was the engineer who did it.

the owners manual sucks--- isn't worth the paper its printed on--another embarrassment

where the lift chain attaches to the a frame--- cheap weldment with a small roll pin. Will need re-weld if it breaks and God forbid its at 3am in a storm. This would have cost nothing to make it better. They cheaped out, its that simple.

Overall, without any plow time I feel its a good choice. I am a little concerned about the lack of clearance to the ground--one pothole and you're done. But, the dealers close and a great guy, it looks pretty well made overall and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

No input on snoway.... I wanted a metal plow, and the meyer seemed to be the best choice for the tacoma given that restriction...at least for me. You couldn't pay me to have a homesteader....the whole frame is so light duty I would be scared to death using it.

Oh, and I know you're gonna ask--- $3500 installed.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Congrats on your new purchase. :drinkup:

If your used to the Fisher's then thats why your concerned with the lack of a way to hang the plow during transport, but don't be as there's few plows out there that even use one anymore.

6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Get a Fisher Homesteder.

7. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

8. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Snoway all the way

9. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

yeah, im a western guy , and i say snow way...

think about it like this... My pro western weighs like 800 lbs Approx. and it does an ok job of scraping, as good as anyother.... but at times, especially for back dragging, it leaves snow,

if that happens with a 800 lb plow, how good a job is a light weight model gonna do? my guess is , not as good. So if it was my choice, snow way with DP is the only way to go on a light weight blade. You combine that with the fact, for a long time, thats all snow way made, and did... im sure they got there act together...

your qualtiy will always be compaired against your compeditors... you might have a light weight blade, but they dont. you need to preform to there standards, even with your lighter blade

I would consider the switch myself , but Toby never sent me the info i requested -- HOW many cases of beer do you want, to make an even trade for about 8 or 9 plows?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Do you like yours?

11. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Thanks for the help guys. I guess I will go take a look at the Snow-way, Fisher/Western and I'm also going to check out the Curtis Home-Pro plows since the Curtis factory is only about 30 minutes from my house.

12. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

When did you make a request for some info elite? :confused:

13. elite1msmith

from chicago

yesterday....lol so how many millers to trade plow for plow?

14. OfCourseYouCan

OfCourseYouCan Junior Member

Will putting a plow on your Tacoma void your Toyota warranty? I heard that was the case years ago. I also know someone who with one for years with very little trouble.

15. elite1msmith

from chicago

id be willing to bet it will

16. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

depends on what goes wrong. if you put a plow on a truck with a plow prep then its under, if you dont have a plow prep and the trans goes, then they can stick it 2 you. its all about how far they want to go with it. i kno my dealer lets alot sly. but if your window regulator goes they have to cover it due regardles to having a plow.

17. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

18. warrenpfjr

warrenpfjr Junior Member

Hey All,
    Im new to this site- I found you guys while researching plow options for my 09 Tacoma. Its looking like my best 2 options are the Snoway 22 series and the Snowdogg MD series (both are under 400 lbs). Im just looking for something to plow my driveway with- about 600-700ft, gravel/stone circular. It gets chilly and time consuming clearing with my Kubota- i would much rather be able to crank the heat and listen to some tunes while staying dry!

I have heard good things about the Snoway but nothing on the snowdogg. I have found the snowdogg about $600 cheaper and its a Steel skin vs. plastic. Do any of you have experience with the snowdoggs? Or is there something else you might recommend i look at?

I would appreciate any insight from you pros!