1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what plow for my truck?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by plowing ri, Dec 21, 2008.

1. plowing ri

plowing ri Junior Member
    from ri

i have a 04 2500hd 6.0 gas, extended cab, short bed , gmc and will get a plow soon, what is my best bet.

2. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

That question is about as easy to answer as "What kind of car should I buy my wife?"

What do you intend to do with it? How long do you expect to keep it? How many hours per storm do you expect to plow? Parking lots or roads? With the information you gave, you can't possibly expect a meaningful answer.

With that said, I will tell you that you won't be happy with anything less than 8 feet wide and you can save a lot of money by running a straight blade with wings rather than a V plow. If you intend to spend a lot of time clearing large parking lots with rows of cars where you need to carry the snow a long distance to stack it the Blizzard Speedwing 860 is a terrific setup. If you are mostly windrowing for roads then a straight blade is perfect. There is a very good reason that the "big boys" with large commercial accounts don't show up with 20 year old trucks running 7.5 foot blades. They don't have time to mess with junky equipment breaking down in the middle of a push. If you can afford some downtime, buy used. If not, get something new. I am running a Boss Super Duty 7.5 with custom wings that give me 9' 3" in my Chevy ext cab long bed and couldn't be happier with the way it works. I don't usually lock onto brand loyalty, but I'm fairly certain that the next plow I buy will be a Boss.

IMG_2413.jpg

3. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

I have a 8.5ft Boss on my 2500HD. Id get a Boss or Western. Id never buy anything less than a 8.5ft either.

4. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

I would say that if you wanted to go V then go with either a Boss Power V 8'2 or the Fisher extreme V, 8 Foot Model. If you want to go straight I would suggest the Boss Superduty 8' or the 8' Fisher X-Blade. Just my opinion those are the only plows I have ever owned (Fisher and Boss) so I cant speak for any others JMHO.

5. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I really dont think you will spend much more getting a V, and thats what I use. The 8 foot Western straights are going for 4500 installed here, and the V was at 5300 installed. Not much difference if you figure the dollars you will spend on wings too.

6. plowing ri

plowing ri Junior Member
    from ri

i want to use it for parking lots with no cars, and residentil drive ways

7. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

so then if you want to do residentials I would definatley go with a V because there some spots at residentials where you really have to control your snow and that is what a V is made for.