1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What plow for ford explorer

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ljrce, Dec 10, 2010.

1. ljrce

ljrce Senior Member

hi what plow would you recmond for a 1997 What plow for ford explorer 4door with a 4.0
    looking to just do my driveway

2. ljrce

ljrce Senior Member

anybody wanna tell me a good plow to run

3. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Talk to a dealer about what mounts are even available... that may be your best starting place.

4. JK-Plow

JK-Plow Senior Member

Western Suburbanite, Fisher Homesteader, Snoway and Meyers (Drive-Pro or Home Plow) are the only plows that I know of that have mounts for the Explorer.

5. ljrce

ljrce Senior Member

ok cool thank you i will look into them

6. MBrooks420

MBrooks420 Member
    from Erie PA

If it's an automatic get a huge trans cooler. The v6 transmissions are ticking timebombs as it is.

7. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

8. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

I have a 1996 Ford explorer that i plowed with all last winter. I used a snowsport plow. I would suggest not using any plow other than a snowsport plow or a snowbear plow. even the major brands personal plows are risky on the explorer because of the torsion bar front suspension. I second the trans cooler though. I have one rated for a motor home on my explorer but I am not plowing with it again this season... this year I bought an f250 :)

9. MBrooks420

MBrooks420 Member
    from Erie PA

I have a snowbear on my Mountaineer(same truck as the Explorer) and I like it. It pushes well. I have the 5.0, but the 4.0 has plenty of torque. If plowing anything major, or when it's real slick, I'd plow in low to "lock" the clutch in your transfer case, instead of using the "4wd auto"