1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What plow for an ATV?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ALarsh, Jul 23, 2005.

1. ALarsh

ALarsh Senior Member

I have a Honda Rancher that I plan on putting a plow on. What kind of plow would you recommend? I'm thinking of getting around a 50". I have a winch that I have not mounted on yet. I am assuming you guys use a winch to raise the plow?

Also, what about salt spreaders? I saw a guy on here that had a rear salt spreader on his atv. Which one of those you'd you suggest?

Last question- About how much am I looking at for a plow and a spreader?

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i have a 48 on my wolverine also had a winch to lift it . my shoveler almost ripped the front end of the quad . so i switched to a manual lift.
    the best investment was putting a u edge on the blade this way the blade floats over raised concrete instead of damaging the quad
  3. ALarsh

ALarsh Senior Member

What kind of plow is it and how much did it cost you?
  4. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I have a 48" Warn full trip. It has adjustable shoes. Had no trouble pushing all that snow in the so-called blizzard that we had last season. It's hooked up to the Warn winch for raising and lowering. Works great!!
  5. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I have run 2 - 4 machines on approximatly 50 accounts per storm for the last 8 years. We run Polaris 400 2 strokes. I know that some of you don't like them, but they always start, they are light, and have a tremendous amount of low end torque. We run 60" polaris or cycle country plows lifted with warn winches.
    Suggestion #1 Run the winch cable strait down off the cable spool to the plow. Don't run the cable through the fairlead or it will break after about 4 hours of rolling back and forth over that small roller.

Suggestion #2 Take the stock cutting edge off and use it for a template only. Go get yourself some 1/4" to 3/16" AR steel. Cut it the length of your stock cutting edge and make it about 3" deep. This way you have a lot of cutting edge to work with and some extra weight to keep the blade on the asphalt/concrete.

Suggestion #3 Retighten your mounting bolts on the bottem of the ATV after about 8 hours of use. Guaranteed that they will problabley strech a little, especially if they are a light grade bolt. Mine are 3/8" carrige bolts. I had to special order grade 5's. the standard ones are like a grade 3.

Suggestion #4 Mount a rubber flat 6" - 12" wide to the top of the plow. When you are plowing pretty fast that will keep the snow from coming over the top of the plow and onto the rider. That light snow can also plug up the air filter and flood the machine out.

Personally we took the shoes off the plows and used them for paper wieghts. We were always adjusting them up so that the blades would cut clean. ATV's can make you lots of money in a small amount of time on commmercal sidewalks.
    I did great with them until my help became too undependable. It takes a lot of cash to hire someone to go out a rassel with a ATV for 12 hours strait when it is -30 degrees. They all lost interest even when getting paid 300 - 400 per day.
  6. G&S in Md

G&S in Md Junior Member

I have a question about the 2 strokes

What kind of Polaris do you plow with? If its a scrambler. I have a few other questions