1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What plow for a Jeep ???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by columbiaplower, Jan 31, 2003.

1. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

Ok looking to add a driveway/small lot plow truck. Im set on a used jeep wrangler. most likely gonna go with the v6 but still thinking about the four. Im also trying to figure out what brand/size/style plow to go with. The westerns see popular for the jeeps i think the v6 could handle that 7'2" LSX or whatever its called, ut a 6'6" would probley suit the 4cy. better. Also was looking at the buyers SUV spreader seems like a good choice.
    Did a search and learned alot. I want to go with a early to mid 90's wragler. Anyone have any input?would love to here from jeep owners.
    Thanks Nick
  2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

i have a 93 jeep wrangler 4.0l with a 6'6" western uni-mount (standard blade).

great little plow truck, but get the 6 cylinder, better engine, more power.

i would'nt put a 7'2" blade on a jeep wrangler, sometimes the truck does'nt like to push the 6'6" with a full blade of wet snow.

good luck
  3. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I am using a 6.5" western and it doesn't do a very good job compared to a snoway. My jeep is perfect for doing long driveways with the western but if you are doing backdragging then the snoway is the best. With no downpressure the Western is too light and floats across packed snow.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=8504 see my jeep on the second page

4. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

The LSX plow is about 60# heavier.

I had my 6'6" Western SUV plow on a Wrangler many years ago.

It will plow better with the LSX plow than the SUV plow. The SUV plow does not angle as much as the LSX plow. You will push more than rather than it flow off to the side.
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Snoway would be an excellent choice,lightweight and downpressure too.Western 6.5 would be my second choice.Depends on what dealers you have in your area.

Go with the 4.0 L Inline six.I'd stay away from the V6,nothing but problems.
  6. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

personally, i dont like the western suv or lsx plows. thier light duty plows.

here are the weights of the plows

6'6" sport utility 425#

7"2" lsx 480#

6"6" standard 560#
  7. DMAN

DMAN Junior Member

I just purchased a 6.6 Western Sport utility plow for my 95' wrangler 4 clyinder. I have only used it twice so far this season and it is perfect for doing residentials as everybody else said. Howver, i can see it might be a problem with backdragging heavy snow as it is a light plow. I think i am having a problem possibly with the angle of attack on my stock jeep as the a frame is not completely level when the plow is down. Is there any way to ajust the mount as this mount goes over the bumper??I took a measurement from the ground to the center of the pin and i have 11 1/2". Is this a big deal?? The plow doesn't seem to scrape well when angled as it isn't getting the snow fully to the edge of the driveways. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

8. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

marty, it seems like your plow and pump stick out really far infront of your jeep, why is this and does it create any problems? Also do you have any other pictures? love to see more.
  9. martyman

martyman Senior Member

sure Nick

I will post some pictures on my other favorite site universityofjeep.com this week, nickname is Roadrash.

I used a 4 banger throttle body injected jeep for 3 years and it worked great. If I could pick a four banger though I would pick a 95 or newer with the multiport injection and get a centerforce gold clutch and a limited slip rear end and some 31" snowtires. I think it is just the angle of my plow that the pump seems to be sticking out.

Warning jeeps can be addictive!!!! this is my 3rd one and I am contemplating on what #4 will be (maybe a willy's 3b?)

10. jspivxl102

jspivxl102 Member

I got an '89 Cherokee w/ a 6'6" Western. Works great. I only plow residential driveways though.
  11. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

hey heres my pic dude

96 cherokee sport 4.0 with a 6.5' western sport ute plow

12. mowermama

mowermama Junior Member
    from ne ohio

we have a 93 jeep wrangler with a 6.5 meyers (plastic) plow. works great , never a problem.
  13. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

I have the Western 6.5' SUV plow on my 1992 YJ. It is a light duty plow (blade and cutting edge is very thin), I would consider looking into the Meyer 7' Standard instead.

14. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

I don't think my frame is completely level. One side of the plow sits a little higher than the other, lifts up more around a turn heading down a hill.