1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what plow do recommend?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mr.mow, Sep 13, 2006.

1. mr.mow

mr.mow Junior Member

I will be plowing for the first time on my own with my own truck this year(have 10-11 years exp plowing). I have a chevy half ton, 99' z71 with tow package. previously the company i worked for i used a chavy 3/4 ton mostly with a boss "v" plow, absolutley loved it..8'(i know to heavy) also used a western 8' straight blade. once you use a "v" you dont want to go back! Anyway i would like to get a "v". can anybody suggest a "v" or an 8' straight that would work well! i understand the "v"'s weighs more. thanks in advance!

2. mr.mow

mr.mow Junior Member

bumpsahga/RSVBS

3. mr.mow

mr.mow Junior Member

not a single person has input?i thought this would be an easy question......guess not.maybe i should be alittle patient...?:gunsfiring:

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I would recommend a 760 Speedwing if you have any commercial.

5. mr.mow

mr.mow Junior Member

thanks for reply, is that blizzard, straight with wings?

6. mr.mow

mr.mow Junior Member

gotta love the gunslinger guy!?

7. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

I have a 96 z71 with a 7.6 western unimount. Poly blade. works well with no front end problems. Better see if your truck has the gvw for a plow as I had another truck like this that was a light duty. did not work out with that one

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Go to the top of the page and click on the link. It will show you, but it does have the wings but they are not controlled from inside the truck.

9. mr.mow

mr.mow Junior Member

guess what im really looking for is v plow,cause i know there are alot of options for straights

10. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

If you've had a good experience with a boss, then why change? I love my boss.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You'll have a hard time finding a vee blade suitable for half ton.

12. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Boss makes a 7'6" V blade for half ton trucks. Not sure if your truck is recommended for it. I had a Blizzard 760LT on my 04 Ram 1500. It was a great plow for the truck.

13. bbrsq

bbrsq Member

v-plows

I have three trucks on the road. I started with straight blades and over the years have changed everything over to v-blades. I use to run the boss v-blade. Recently I have been running into issues with getting parts and service for the boss. The last two trucks (last fall and this month) have the western mvp. I am running a 9'-6" MVP on my F550 dump and the new F250 will have a 8'-6" MVP. I like the Western v-blades better than the boss. The western has a chain lift system instead of the ram. Western has also built stops into the framework instead of the pressure going on the rams. Western's mounting system with the ultra-mount is a much easier system than the Smart Hitch of the Boss. The middle catch and deflector is better on the Western as well. Western is using a rubber catch in the middle of the cutting egdes. Boss has the horseshoe in the middle that has the tendency to be ripped off if it is caught.

All around I like the Western blade better than the Boss. I believe it to be a much better built plow. The Boss is a good plow as well. I ran them for 5 years before starting to switch over. Just make sure you have a good service center and supplier.

14. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Might want to look into The New Fisher Extreme V blade, looks like a vast improvement. And Since Fisher and western are owned by the same company in the end, there is not much difference in the blades in the end. I think fisher is a little higher quality.

15. Ripple

Ripple Member

Fisher

Just get the Fisher 7'6" or the 8' blade and no worries ever again!

16. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:nod: or a 1/2 ton suitable for commercial service.
    I know someone will correct me.:waving:

IF your still in this business in 5 years of commerical plowing & salting.
    I bet, you will be driving a 3/4 ton or bigger truck with a V plow.

17. Adair350

Adair350 Member

Fisher plows would be my first recommendation and Western second just my opinion. If you are interested in a Fisher or to at least get an idea of what your truck will handle go to fishers web site and use the plow selection tool to see what they offer and then compare to other brands for weight etc.