1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What plow brand should i use??

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by nogoodram, Dec 29, 2010.

1. nogoodram

nogoodram Member
    from RI

Hi guys,

I sold my ram 2500 with 8 foot fisher and i'm downsizing. i just bought a 1997 dakota and i'm looking to put a plow rig on it. i assume 6.5 or 7 foot is the way to go. what brand? western/fisher, snoway, meyer, other....?

i'm hoping someone can tell me of their experiences. i dont want to get one that too narrow for the truck or too heavy for the truck or too light to effectively move snow etc

and... anyone know of someone in the northeast selling a good used setup i could use?

thanks a bunch

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't go any smaller than 7'6" (7.5'). I had an 03 Dakota quad cab with a few turns of the tbars it handled a Fisher 7.5 RD plow just fine. They turn so tight that even with that plow I'd run over windrows. You definitely feel the weight but the V8 moved it no problem.

The fisher ad wiring was easy to find, it was the mount that was difficult but I basically fell upon one in craigslist.

3. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

I vote Fisher too!!!

4. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

I was gonna say Boss, but I checked the website first and they don't seem to make a plow for the Dakota.

5. damian

damian Senior Member

use the plow brand that is close to you,is one of the top 5,is around when it snows,has a loaner if need be.none of them are any good if you cant get it fixed.i sell blizzard and dont have many problems with them.

6. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

Snoway MT or 26 Series in 7'6". I have an 04, had an 03 Quad 5.9 with AWD. The Snoway with Down Pressure is easily the best option. If your not sold on the Poly, just get a SS skin. I just turned the Torsion Bars full swing (obiously want them level side to side.) I also had a Leaf Spring Helper kit installed.

Things to look for in the Dak:
    Tow Package which includes the following below:
    - Taller 265/70/16 tires (not necessarily available in the pre 2000 models.) I switched to 245/75/16 for better winter traction with Load E tires since they were 17/32" tread new versus the standard 12/32".
    - Oil & Trans Cooler
    - 9.25" Rear (LSD not necessary, but doesn't hurt.)

I would consider Timbrens. I also use a Salter for a little bit of ballast. Easily the best Mid Size truck capable of plowing with no major mods necessary. I love the fact I have AWD as I don't even change into 4Hi or 4Lo. I have had over 1 ton of commercial wallpaper in this truck and it did better then some V6 and entry v8 half tons.

Too bad as I'm probably selling my setup come next fall, otherwise you'd have a pretty well sorted out plow/truck...

7. SD40T2

SD40T2 Member

7' curtis on mine turned up t-bars EXCELLENT plow rig like it better than my old full size truck no problems what so ever will move alot of snow and uses much less fuel