1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What One is Better?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DareDog, Mar 2, 2013.

1. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

Auto 4wd or 4HI for just driving down road in the winter? when road mite be slippery or snow covered.
  2. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

depends on the road conditions; if it's crappy i.e. a foot of snow on the road then 4hi all the way.

but if you just have spotty snow then the AUTO might come in handy. In the transfer case there is a set of clutches, along with speed sensor's that are supposed to sense slippage to activate the 4wd. I've not got any experience with it, so I have no idea if it works well or not. It must work at least somewhat or they wouldn't have put it in so many trucks.

Side note: auto 4wd transfer cases are extra susceptible to the "pump rub" issue search for it either on this site or google for info on the fix if you haven't done it yet. the machined plate to fix it can be had on merchant auto for less than $100 and it will be a permanent fix.
  3. bean7654

bean7654 Member

I had AUTO on my last truck, 2004 Tahoe. I loved it. I used it all the time. It worked well and never had any issues with it.
  4. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

If you are in 4wd, always 4 hi when going down the road.

4lo is used when you really need the torque and minimize wheel slippage when really stuck, or trying to pull something extremely heavy where wheel slippage is an issue.

If you've got Auto, then use it.

If you've got a ford like mine, just shift on the fly when needed.

5. crete5245

crete5245 Member

The auto use the wheel speed sensor of the ABS, to determine slippage then it will lock the tansfercase into 4 hi then when the wheels stop slipping it will take it out of 4 hi.. Auto and 4 hi are the same gear in the transfer case. When you request 4 hi it stays in 4 hi until you switch back to 2 hi. when you select auto, the pcm/bcm will watch wheel speed sensors and switch the transfer case from 2 hi to 4 hi and back depending on the wheel speed sensor inputs as far as slippage of the wheels.
  6. Dr_Goodwrench66

Dr_Goodwrench66 Member

Personally, I would never use AUTO. Just pretend that button isn't there. If you knew the inner workings of an AUTO Tcase, you'd understand why. They destroy themselves on AUTO. Seen it over and over. So for me, its 4HI or 4LOW. Just my .02.
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Don't plow in Auto. Auto is fine for running around town on slippery roads though.
  8. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Love Auto 4WD in my 2002 1500 for spotty roads. Almost as good as having a center differential.

215,000 miles on my original transfer case.
  9. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

this is not plow truck its the daily driver for me to school got 20 mile commute.
  10. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

2hi or 4hi, I believe the only time auto4 was on in mine other than when I bought it was when I let my wife drive it with a few inches of snow on the ground, GMT900 Sierra.
  11. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

When in doubt - go in 4HI.
  12. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Have auto button on my suburban. Never used it.
  13. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

We have the auto in all out trucks, and will NEVER use it. If you need 4x4, engage it fully.