1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What % of residentials want deicer?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Exact Services, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

This is question for the residential veterans. Generally speaking what has been your experience with who wants their driveways and walks, steps de-iced? Do most of your clients know that it's not the greatest thing for the concrete, plants and grass?

Some sort of rough percentage would be helpful. :waving:
  2. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I do my parents as they don't need to be falling. Otherwise, they usually get a bag for their steps and such themselves. We do live in flat country with no mountains too. Might be different in the mountains.
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

10-20% of mine
  4. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

In the beginning of the season none. Around Jan/Feb I have my seniors are set up for As-Needed and most others are set up as Per-Call. Of the per-call I would say 40% start asking for it.

Then their are the folks who call per-storm ( not automatic ) we tell them upfront if the driveway is packed then you must have salt. Never had anyone say no and this is probably 75% of the clients.

I will not salt ( or plow ) stamped concrete or brick or this cruddy looking stamped asphalt.
  5. dannyslawn

dannyslawn Senior Member

Last season out of 45 residentials we put down ice melt on 3.
  6. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

0% residentials
    all my salt clients are commercial
    I live on the "cheap" side off the country!
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

0%. I bought a Vbox in '01 thinking I'd make a lot from it. Sold it for less than half last year and hadn't used it for two winters.