1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What octane fuel

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by RoseMan806, Dec 4, 2012.

1. RoseMan806

RoseMan806 Member

My 2005 Ram 2500 calls for 89 but states its is ok to run 87. Just curious what everyone is fueling up with when plowing.

2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Diesel... :D

3. RoseMan806

RoseMan806 Member

That's my next truck.

4. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Just run 89. If it's what it calls for and you run 87, it'll just ****** the timing and cost you some power/efficiency.

5. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

#2 diesel w/ cold weather additives

As for the gassers don't forget some fuel antifreeze, the cold weather will be here before you know it. Yes I have run 87. In the heavy wet snow 94 would never hurt.

6. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

^What he said. 87 won't damage anything but you'll give up a little bit until you get your tank up to 89 again.
    These days gas comes with 10% ethanol anyway...and the most popular fuel antifreeze, "HEET", is just a bottle of ethanol after all. If you need more than 10% ethanol then you have a LOT of water in your tank.

It won't hurt, but neither will it help (unless you've done modifications that call for it or the manufacturer lied about their recommendation and really designed it to run on 94).

7. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Just run the 87, the HEMI won't care either way.

8. nhglock17

nhglock17 Member
    from nh

I have a 2012 Ram 2500 and I only run 87 octane.I nevr had a problem runs fine,David

9. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

91 octane, zero ethanol!

10. RoseMan806

RoseMan806 Member

So it looks like I'll be running 89 when plowing. Thanks for the response.

11. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

Premium non ethanol fuel only!!

Unless I can't find it. Then I just run premium until I can get back to nonethanol.

All that until I drop my 6.7 Cummins into it. Then it'll be diesel only. :^) Got the engine and tranny already...just need the time to make it happen.

12. Ram 08

Ram 08 Member

My manual states the engine was designed for optimum performance with fuel octane in the range of 87 to 89, and they recommend 89. They then discuss spark knock as a result of lower octanes. I have always run 89 and still occaisionally hear a little spark knock.

13. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

I run the higher octane because I have a Superchip program on my ECU. Try running one tank of non-e in your truck and see if it knocks as much as before. And if you switch to a higher octane, most likely the knock will be gone completely.

Unless your intake plenum has failed miserably like mine did years ago and you fixed it with the Hughes plate. But I think the Hemis don't have that problem.