1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Non-CDL Dump Truck to buy?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tsafa, Jan 31, 2014.

1. tsafa

tsafa Junior Member

Hi all.

I am ready to buy an new dump truck. I am looking for some recommendations. I don't want to bother with CDL B.S. so I am going to keep the weight under 26,000 lbs. I will be putting a plow blade on this and be pulling a 10,000 lb trailer.

I am probably looking for something like a Ford F-550. I am not sure what other trucks I should look at in this price range. The thing that bugs me about the F-550 is that they only make them in automatic transmissions. The good thing about the F-550 though is that it comes in 4x4.

Any other trucks I should look at?

Thanks

2. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

A 550 will only get you 19.5 k gvw. Look at international 4300. Mine drags my 10k trailer around no problem and i can put 10k in the bed easily

3. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

What else are you going to use it for?

4. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

Ford 650 would be nice but has some pros and cons depending on your needs.

5. mud

mud Senior Member

A 550 with a 10k trailer behind it will put you into cdl range. Any combo with a combined gvwr of over 26k is cdl territory if its being used for commercial purposes. A 10 k trailer behind that truck would be a class b cdl 10001 or higher would be a class a.

Without the trailer no cdl needed. Just DOT Numbers and a medical card.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  6. Drewster2012

Drewster2012 Senior Member
    from Ma

International terrastar? I though the 4300 u need a cdl??

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Here we go again.

Subscribed

8. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Truck itself needs to be under 16k gvwr in order to tow the trailer without a CDL. So that means a one ton truck

9. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

You need to learn the difference between GVWR and GCWR

A CDL is for a truck with a GVWR over 26K

10. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

If you go to the upper right hand side of the first post, you can click on the "thread tools" icon and subscribe that way as well.

You're welcome..............:)

11. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Thank god someone else knows that lol

12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Listen cheese wheel, I'm trying to boost my post count, I have several lost years to make up for.

13. alldayrj

Everyone knows everything but doesnt own one. I have a 4300 at 25995, my trailer is 9990, i do it every day. If thats cdl territory then everyone i have ever met needs a cdl and we all break the law

14. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Care to explain why????

To the OP, there's plenty of trucks larger than F550's available at similar or less money that you don't need a CDL for. Every large commercial truck manu (Peterbilt, International, Kenworth, etc...) makes them. They even make them with air brakes/breaks under CDL.................Thumbs Up

15. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Wrong.

Trailer has to be over 10k

16. mud

mud Senior Member

I will admit I was wrong here. Taken from the fmca website.

If the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the tow truck alone is 26,001 pounds or more, and the driver either (a) drives the tow truck without a vehicle in tow, or (b) drives the tow truck with a towed vehicle of 10,000 pounds or less Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), then the driver needs a Group B CDL.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regu...mcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=383.91&guidence=Y

This would also apply to dump trucks. However if the rating of the trailer is 10001 or over it would require a class a cdl provided the total of the GVWR's is over 26k pounds.

You can still be required to have a cld even with a regular pickup provided that the combined weight ratings of the trailer and truck are over 26k if the trailer is over 10k

That being said most states will also require dot numbers and a medical card for vehicle or combination of vehicles weighting over 10k pounds.

17. mud

mud Senior Member

Not always. One of the reasons I have 14k trailers instead of 16k is I would be required to have a class a with my trucks.

If the trailer weight is over 10k and the GVWR of both added together exceeds 26k a cdl a is required.

The way the laws are written is really fubar when it comes down to it. Even if you ask DOT enforcement personnel you are likely to get two different answers from two different people.

18. tsafa

tsafa Junior Member

plowing and salting in the winter... grass cutting in the summer. If any other opportunities come up I would consider them of course. I would be dragging around a 6,000 lb tractor/FEL/backhoe on a 10 K trailer.

19. tsafa

tsafa Junior Member

Yeah.... thats the sort of advice I am looking for. I am trying to find the best value/flexibility.

The F550 no longer come with manual transmissions... and I think that is a bad thing. So I am very much inclined to find something else.

20. alldayrj

You dont need anything bigger than a 550 really then. Do the dodge 5500s come with a manual? What about the terrastars?