1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What next

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by GmacK34, Oct 30, 2005.

1. GmacK34

GmacK34 Junior Member

Just a little about me, My name is Greg im 19 and im from Pittsburgh. Brand new to the plowing buisness, and I could use a little help. I have combed this site pretty well and found out alot of information but I need some advice.

First ill start with my equipment:

1985 Ford Bronco (lots of rust right now but I got almost all of it ground down, huge plus is it only has 53K miles on it.) from what I have read on this site timbrens would be a good idea, I plan on picking up a set.

Freshly painted and rebuilt 7.5 meyer (got it from a guy who was planning on working this winter, but was getting out of the buisness said his eyesight was going and he wasnt confident enough to keep doing it.)

Now my questions.

1.The guy I got my plow off had it on a Ram 1500 and so thats the bracket I got he told me to take it to a shop and they could make it fit my bronco.

Should I do that, or should I call some dealers and see if they will trade me? Is that kind of thing ever done?

2. My buddy has been doing car audio and security systems for a living the last few years, will he know enough to hook up the electric for the plow or should I take it to a retailer? (Ill probly atleast give him a shot anyway wouldnt want to hurt his pride hahaha)

If I do take it to a retailer how much would either of these services cost?

Also if anyone on here is local and could help me out with some reputible sellers or any other info I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks Alot
    Greg

2. KeeblerBP

KeeblerBP Member

I don't know about the bracket part of the plow but since I used to install security systems and stereos, your buddy should easily be able to hook up everything for your plow. Snowplows are very basic compared to some of the security systems that are on the market.

Good luck!

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

As far as the brackets - I'd call whatever shop you're thinking of and ask them. It's possible, but it really seems that the configuration of a Dodge and Ford Bronco would be significantly different. I know for my '90 Dodge 150, it was different than even Dodges of other years. The installation labor cost was $300 and involved taking off the front bumper. The problem is "making it fit" can sometimes be more expensive than just getting it done right the first time.

4. westwind

westwind Member

Having a shop retrofit the existing mount may cost you more than a used or new one to fit your truck. Installing the electrical is fairly easy, and your friend should have no problem.

5. GmacK34

GmacK34 Junior Member

Thanks alot for all the replies ill deffinitly let my buddy hook it up then.

I called a couple retailers around here and they all have no clue and it didnt seem like they even wanted to try and find out if any other mounts would fit. I asked the one sales man if the f150 mount or any other mount would fit on there and he seemed clueless, and like I said before showed no interest in finding out.

So I guess its off to ebay unless anyone has any advice, ie they know for sure the f150 would fit on there. I saw on here someone was trying to sell an f350 mount to someone with a Bronco but didnt know if it would fit. Doesnt seem like it would to me but hey what do I know im just a kid my truck is older than me hahaha.

Another quick question im really paranoid about tearing up someones property or grass (got a steel blade) should I just lift it a little, couple inches from the grass and keep pushing. Any other advice on things to watch out for would be great. Thanks.

Any advice on anything at all would be great just fire away.

Thanks
    Greg

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

re: grass. I put out markers to stay off grassy area. You want to lift the plow an inch or so to keep from dislocating gravel. But you want to just stay off grass. Too hard to judge and the tires will just make ruts. Even on frozen ground, you'll damage the lawn and grassy areas.